Opinion on Stock C6Z06

codeblack

I'm new to the nasa forum and have run in a few HPDE's this past year, groups 1 and 2. I currently have a stock C6Z06 corvette and want to get the opinion of the instructors as to whether I should up grade the rotors and pads or leave it stock. What would be a good combination for the track? I've looked at single piece rotors from DBA and two piece rotors from Coleman. Also, any feed back on Colbalt GTS pads. I'm currently using Castrol SRF fluid. Thanks

Aftermarket pads that are specifically designed for track use will always perform better and last longer than the stock pads. While stock Z06 pads will likely be more aggressive than the ones that come on a Monte Carlo, they are still a compromise between low dust, cold performance, etc.

If you mainly drive the car on the street, then you should think about having a separate set of pads and rotors for HPDE use. From what I have been told, big-dollar cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors don't have an appreciable advantage over normal rotors, and you don't have the option of resurfacing drilled or slotted rotors (not that I would do that anyway, as you want more material to absorb heat). Many of the racers that I know (as well as myself) only use normal rotors, although we just buy the el cheapo "white box" rotors from the local parts store and replace them every time (or every other time) we get new pads. If we went through several $200+ pairs of rotors every year, then we'd be heading to the poorhouse even quicker. But, if you have money to set on fire, then go for it.

Mark

Thanks for the input. I've been searching for plan faced rotors but I only found fronts made by centric and the price is right. I'll keep searching. Thanks

Cheapest blank face rotors you can find and HP+ pads to start with. They'll dust more but they are still street driveable. Just put a set on a friends C6Z. Braided lines would be nice. More of a safety mod than anything. When you start using R compounds you'll need dedicated track pads like DTC's or such. Anything less will just disintegrate. Ask me how I know.

I would love to put blank rotors on the C6Z06 but can't find them for front and rear. any ideas where I can locate them? As far as safety mods any suggestions would be of help. Thanks. Steve

that is ALOT of car you have there - ease into it - your instructors thank you in advance

Thanks, I know it's a lot and I can't wait until the winter is over to use it First event for 2009 PDA is April at lime rock. This past year I had the fortune of having Kim Baker as my instructor at Lime Rock. Good guy with alot of knowledge.

Advance Auto Parts lists Raybestos cross-drilled front rotors for a 2007 Z06 on their site at $79.99 each, but nothing for the rears.

AutoCabron lists Duralast rear rotors on their site at $99.99 each, with a 2 year warranty.

How are these prices compared to other suppliers?

Mark

Advance Auto Parts lists Raybestos cross-drilled front rotors for a 2007 Z06 on their site at $79.99 each, but nothing for the rears.

AutoCabron lists Duralast rear rotors on their site at $99.99 each, with a 2 year warranty.

How are these prices compared to other suppliers?

Mark

Pretty good, GM at the local dealer is about 120 per rotor but the GM pads at the dealer are 800.00 for front and rear. My concern is using stock cross drills on the track with a pad that is more aggressive than stock. But if I do use the stock cross drills I can't figure out which pad compound to use for those rotors. This is why I was thinking about going to a two piece set up for the rotors and a track compound

Contact Carbotech, Hawk, etc. for their recommendations for pads with your setup. Don't waste the time or money buying pads from your dealer.

Mark

If you runnin gin group 1&2, I dont see any reason to upgrade from OE. The Z06 stock breaking system is more than enough. Seat time, seat time, seat time would be a better investment.

picture449bf4.jpg

Stock Z06 brake componets are 6-piston calipers complimented with 14" front and 13.4" rear cross drilled rotors. The only upgrade I would propose would be the pads like HP as mentioned.

have you tried rotorpros.com?

The rotors for my recently sold STi are ungodly expensive or unavailable from the dealer or most other sources, but rotorpro's had high quality blank centric rotors for much much less.

have you tried rotorpros.com?

The rotors for my recently sold STi are ungodly expensive or unavailable from the dealer or most other sources, but rotorpro's had high quality blank centric rotors for much much less.

I looked up their website but I didn't find any for the C6Z06. I'll give them a call on Monday, Thanks

Hmmmm. I remember this car.......

LOL, me too, was that you?

Hey Meat...is that red \X/ the one with the "WORLD'S BIGGEST SCCA STICKER" in the back window? lol

Mark

Yes to both of you. But to be fair, I have an even larger NASA sticker on the front.

Let's see, blue tape on license plate, purple rotors, no tread on tires. Those orange cones are makin' you think silly Jon. I almost got one ('Vette) after 2 Hertz Shelby car rentals. Too bad Hertz went to the convertibles . . . I'm sure the 'Vette works better than that tub of a Mustang. It still made nice sounds as you revved it . . .

How ya Jon? Had fun at the BMW mini event with ya. When are you comin' back out to the West Coast?

Maddog out