HC - Aftermarket Pistons?

straywalker

I have a question concerning, aftermarket pistons. I believe after pistons cannot be used. I was looking to get like JE, or Arias or maybe Wiesco. However the ones im looking to get are designed for high compression. Im wondering since they are same in 84MM diameter can i still use them? Ill be running in the H1 class. Or no aftermarket piston period?

only OEM honda parts are allowed.

you will have to find another way to get the compression up, becuase you can't use after market pistons.

you could use b16a pistons in a gsr motor or typeR motor

only OEM honda parts are allowed.

you will have to find another way to get the compression up, becuase you can't use after market pistons.

you could use b16a pistons in a gsr motor or typeR motor

damn that really sucks. what other racing event can i use aftermarket pistons in? Since HC doesnt allow it.

Since you said 84mm bore, I'll assume you're building a B20/Vtec. I've read that people can pull 200whp using the stock 1999+ B20B/Z pistons (9.6:1 compression and about $160 for a set from a honda dealer brand new) cut for valve clearance (legal in H1) and a GSR head milled 20 thousanths. I believe you end up with something like 10.5:1 compression this way, so your burn efficiency is decent. I've also heard of valves that increase CR by up to .3:1 which may be a possibility in H1 since the head is pretty much open. Just thought I'd throw that tidbit in as an alternative to leaving HC and going elsewhere.

- Scott

Since you said 84mm bore, I'll assume you're building a B20/Vtec. I've read that people can pull 200whp using the stock 1999+ B20B/Z pistons (9.6:1 compression and about $160 for a set from a honda dealer brand new) cut for valve clearance (legal in H1) and a GSR head milled 20 thousanths. I believe you end up with something like 10.5:1 compression this way, so your burn efficiency is decent. I've also heard of valves that increase CR by up to .3:1 which may be a possibility in H1 since the head is pretty much open. Just thought I'd throw that tidbit in as an alternative to leaving HC and going elsewhere.

- Scott

Thanks for the info. Yeah i really want to stay and race in HC. I will be using a bored 84mm gsr block and and with a b16 head. so yeah sorta like b20/vtec. I want to make this more for 220+ whp. that is my goal. So thats why i ask using aftermarket pistons is the way i going to have to go since i dont think OEM pistons will get my 220+whp.

The head i built is a B16 milled and mild port and polished, with Jun Stage3 cams, ferrea valves and port flow dual springs and ITR retainers.

The GSR Block consists of LS crank and undefined pistons with a bore and sleeved to 84mm. I was looking to get atleast 84mm 12:1 or 12:8 - 7cc dome aftermarket pistons.

If this helps, which i hope it does i could use all the info i can get.

While engine overboring is unrestricted in H1, there is no mention that sleeve-ing a block is legal in HC.

If not stated as legal....not legal.

While engine overboring is unrestricted in H1, there is no mention that sleeve-ing a block is legal in HC.

If not stated as legal....not legal.

ahh ok, well that all completely makes sense and puts me in a huge decision crunch.

The thing of it is, there really isn't any roadracing series that will allow you to run that combo, club racing anyways, that I know of.

I am sure you could run with NASA in SU. The problem is that you will be completely outclassed there. I mean, Porsche GT2's run there, for goodness sake.

straywalker -

Few Q's for you:

You are in AZ right? I saw a post from you on another thread that said you were at Firebird a couple weeks ago. Do you have much/any road racing experience? When do you think you may be joining HC (if you go that route)? Which honda car are you building?

I'm also in AZ and new to road racing. I'm hoping to join HC in Jan. I was at Firebird w/ my redish-orange CRX that I'll be putting in H4. You may have seen me and my friend Jon who has a white/blue/yellow CRX. Anyway, I try to get to know all of the other HC people, so I thought I'd ask. Are you gonna be at the Oct event at PIR?

- Scott

• 5 weeks later...