Mustang Roll Cages

DV19

Would anyone be willing to forward me pictures of their cages that comply with the NASA rules? I hope I'm not requesting any speed secrets here, I just want to get an idea of what's allowed and not.....

I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to bring this car to it's first event and be told, "You can't do that" or "how come you didn't but this in?"

Thanks again......

Be careful about the tubing you use. Many of the mail order cages do not use tubing that is acceptable under the rules. I've been searching for a legal cage for quite some time, contacted a number of vendors and still haven't find a vendor that uses the proper tubing. One had the audacity to suggest that "nobody is going to check." !! I've decided to use a local shop to build the cage.

Bob

Yes, the Mark Willson buildup is very nice work.

On the other hand, if we are trying to lead by example, we should probably only show cages that are legal to the rules as they are currently written. That is specifically what the original poster asked for.

Richard Pedersen

NASA TX AI #91

Yes, the Mark Willson buildup is very nice work.

On the other hand, if we are trying to lead by example, we should probably only show cages that are legal to the rules as they are currently written. That is specifically what the original poster asked for.

Richard Pedersen

NASA TX AI #91

What about our cage is not legal?

What about our cage is not legal?

See thread started by your cohort:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3275

IF you are going to break things down to a microscopic level I am 100% positive that I can/have found things that are not legal on every single AI car that is running in every region.

Also cages of alternate design may be approved on an individual basis, which is how our door bars were approved.

In reality there is not a single AI car with true NASCAR door bars.....

That all depends on what year rules of NASCAR you are referring to.

Here is an example for you guys to disect.

033103%20006.jpg

033103%20006.jpg

What are you looking for mark? And why are you not registered for putnam?

If you want disection here goes- You need to weld the support tubes in, not lay a bead of caulk 3/8" high and paint over it.

That yellow car looks fast. I heard it just needs a driver.

And Mark- shut up about turn 3. I know you can't but I'll say it anyway.

033103%20006.jpg

According to the current NASCAR rules the cage shown doesn't have enough vertical or horizontal bars and the distance between the bars is incorrect. I've yet to see anyone with proper NASCAR door bars running in AI.

If you indeed used calking to keep them in place then you would need to also replace that with a proper weld.

Hopefully we'll see the yellow car out on the track next year as it was a colorful addition to the field.

P.S. If there is something you do want to do I would HIGHLY recommend you ask first so that there are no surprises when you show up at the track.

What Region are you planning on running in anyway?

P.S. If there is something you do want to do I would HIGHLY recommend you ask first so that there are no surprises when you show up at the track.

Amen to that! I had to jump through some fairly serious hoops to get approval on construction that already technically met the CCR. What you think are slight modifications in the interest of safety or stiffness can easily confuse a tech inspector. Bottom line is get approval first!

033103%20006.jpg

What are you looking for mark? And why are you not registered for putnam?

Why do you assume I am looking for something? Not everyone has an agenda here. I'm just giving an example of the lack of clarity of NASCAR type type setup. Though some would consider those NASCAR bars, I don't.

If you want disection here goes- You need to weld the support tubes in, not lay a bead of caulk 3/8" high and paint over it.

I don't claim to be a good welder, but those are on the scary side. No I didn't do them.

And Mark- shut up about turn 3. I know you can't but I'll say it anyway.

What the heck? I haven't said anything about turn three............yet.

Don't expect to see the yellow car ever again. It's becoming more and more of a sore subject. The only good it will do is for converstations like this.

Also cages of alternate design may be approved on an individual basis, which is how our door bars were approved.

I've seen this on three cars now and I think is going to a good compromise between side impact space provided by NASCAR bars and strength provided by the X.

Hard to see in this pic what's going on, but it is kinda similar. This car in not yet finished (and not an AI car).

459CIMG0198.JPG

Mark - Sorry to hear about the yellow car. I really would like to see it back out on track.

Jim - Your picture doesn't work. The X with the verticle bar adds a substantial amount of rigidity to the body.

I've seen this on three cars now and I think is going to a good compromise between side impact space provided by NASCAR bars and strength provided by the X.

Hard to see in this pic what's going on, but it is kinda similar. This car in not yet finished (and not an AI car).

459CIMG0198.JPG

Jim, since I cannot see you picture I will have to imagine what it looks like. To the issue of an X providing less intrusion protection than the nascar style door bars-- I am not sold on the idea that nascars bars are any better than what we have done. I say this based on how far out of plane (towards the door skin) out X actually protrudes. We also have bracing vertically that is connected to the upper halo/a-pillar node and the lower rocker-subframe connector..

To the issue of an X providing less intrusion protection than the nascar style door bars-- I am not sold on the idea that nascars bars are any better than what we have done. I say this based on how far out of plane (towards the door skin) out X actually protrudes.

Right, the pic is kinda irrelevant, just an illustration that the extruded X is becoming more popular. I'd say that a typical X has less intrusion protection than NASCAR bars, but the extruded X is a completely different story.

How hard is it to exit the vehicle?

Buckled into the drivers seat with the wheel and net in place we can get out in 7 seconds. We were asked to do this as part of our annual tech on the car.

It's actually VERY simple.