Tragedy at Thunder Hill.

Ron Carroll

Tragedy at Thunder Hill.

On Friday Oct 1st, a test day for the SCCA regional race there was a tragic accident. A GTA car side swiped an ITS RX7 , sent it into the wall between turn# 13 and #14, just past the bridge, the GTA car then continued on and made no attempt to turn in at# 14, went straight across and hit a 1st gen RX7 that was just getting to turn #8, it is estimated that the GTA car was going well over 120mph when it hit the RX7 broad side, both cars were destroyed and both drivers were killed. Nothing is known yet as to why this happened and we may never know. I was not there when it happened but still I am very shaken up. I am writing this on Saturday night and I still can not believe that it really happened, I did drive today and had a very good day improved my best time by 1.6 seconds but it all seems so insignificant. To think that could have been any one of us just doing what we love and the next moment its over. There was a spec Miata right behind the RX7 when it happened, he said that he saw a flash of white and then the RX7 was not there anymore. We go through life with the feeling that it is always the other guy that bad things happen to, but it could have been one of us.

Edited by Guest

Ron,

My thoughts and prayers go out to all family and friends of those involved. Ron, your words at the end are well spoken and very true.

Derek

My heart goes out to the family & friends of the drivers. My thoughts & prayers are with them.

damn after reading about 4 different post on this im still in shock.

best wishes to the family.

things to get befor TH, fire bottle, hans device.

I found out today that the driver of the RX-7, Charlie Aliberti, was Cindy's chiropractor, and cindy's mom has been doing his books for his company for 10 years. Charlie's memorial service is wednesday night. Cindy is going to let me know if it is an open memorial or just for family and close friends.