Wipers & Heater

4-Valve Coupe

Hey guys,

Got a couple of newbie questions for guys running AI or AIX that get rain in their part of the country. I am trying to decide if I should completely remove my wipers, as in not just the external wiper arms and blades, but motor, internal arms, etc. Same goes for the heater core. The dash is coming out to run the cage and remove the a/c evap. core, but not sure on removing the heater core. I believe AI and AIX runs rain or shine, so I guess I want to confirm that first, and get some opinions on rendering these 2 items completely non-usable!!! Running a Fox body Mustang. Thanks for the input.

Most guys in the OH/IN region have removed their wipers and use rain-x. I have retained my wipers but have asked the other drivers and they said that this works fine.

My car has the heater core removed and I think most other guys have removed their as well. Since you are considering removing the wipers, I have to believe that this will not be street-driven. In that case, I recommend removing the heater core to get the weight savings. However, you may want to retain the ducts and blower to keep the fog to a minimum...

My car is still street-legal so I have working wipers and blowers...

Hope this helps.

Drop the weight. Rain-X and Fog-X are your friends.

I gutted my dash completely to install Autometer gauges, so literally none of the stock switches remain. I have a new switch panel in the center console that includes wipers. It's easy enough to throw the wiper motor itself back in later if needed. I just have the wires run to the connector.

You don't need wipers. You need a 2-3" tall piece of sheet metal at a 70 degree angle towards the windshield about 2/3 the distance up the hood. That and Rain-X will work wonders.

I completely disagree with the above. Keep the wiper on the drivers side. Unless you are in completely clear air, you will need them. The mist from a car directly in front of you will not blow off if you're on his bumper. I've tried Rain-X also but the water just beaded up and blocked my view. I have won in the rain in Midwestern Council and finished 3rd in the rain at Putnam (results not accurate as my trasponder quit) passing most of the field after starting 12th.

Sidney Franklin

AGS/AI #64

If you get a change to check out the Wilson/Tone mobile they have one slick set-up for a blower/defroster!

Where would I find this.