Ballast rules?

jakermc

I went through the CCR and GTS rules and could not find anything about ballast. Are there any rules around how high the stack can be, where it is placed, etc? I want to make sure I did not miss something during my quick skim through the documents.

Ballast is typically addressed in the class rules and not in the CCR's. In this case, the GTS rules refere you to the CCR's who do not have any mention of ballast. I know in other rules sets, like PT or ST, there are limitations as well as recommended locations.

Interesting. The GTS Rules point you to the NASA CCR for ballast requirements but I, at least, can't find anything there. I thought there were guidelines related to the number and size of bolts that had to be used based on the amount of weight.

I thought it used to be in the CCR, but I can't find it in the new one (2009.2), or old ones going all the way back to the 2006.5 version. I also looked at the old GTS rules going back to the 2007 rules (May '07).

The 2008 RACE CAR ANNUAL TECHNICAL INSPECTION GUIDE has checks for Ballast Mounting and Ballast Backing Plates, but no additional info.

I remember reading the attachment requirements, both number and size of the attachment bolts, and the maximum weight of the ballast...

I thought it used to be in the CCR, but I can't find it in the new one (2009.2), or old ones going all the way back to the 2006.5 version. I also looked at the old GTS rules going back to the 2007 rules (May '07).

The 2008 RACE CAR ANNUAL TECHNICAL INSPECTION GUIDE has checks for Ballast Mounting and Ballast Backing Plates, but no additional info.

I remember reading the attachment requirements, both number and size of the attachment bolts, and the maximum weight of the ballast...

I remember that too...but can't find it either.

I thought I remember reading it also but like you, can't find it in the current rules. Maybe it was an SCCA or PCA rule set that I remember? I guess if it's not there now its unregulated.

Thanks for the quick response. I was going to add about 40 lbs this weekend as my dyno run this year recorded an extra 4hp versus last year. I feel comfortable I'll pass whatever attachment rule that comes out, can you give any guidance as to if there will be any guidelines around the size of the ballast or its placement in the car?

As I mentioned above, I recall a limit to the amount of ballast you could use, but there was no limitation on where you could put it, which was really nice for corner balancing the car. Hopefully the new ruling won't limit the amount, or the location.

Thanks for the quick response. I was going to add about 40 lbs this weekend as my dyno run this year recorded an extra 4hp versus last year. I feel comfortable I'll pass whatever attachment rule that comes out, can you give any guidance as to if there will be any guidelines around the size of the ballast or its placement in the car?

I cannot - it would not surprise me if it followed the standards set by other weight limited classes, though. If the rules haven't been reworked by your first race, touch base with your region's tech inspector and work with them to place the ballast in a safe manner.

Let's all just be careful what we ask for. Like many other GTS cars, I'm carrying ballast which was mounted based upon the current (non-existing) rule set. While I know it's mounted safely, I would hope existing situations will meet any newly developed standard.

Brad

I certainly agree with the comments above. I think attachment rules regarding safety issues would be a good thing but limits on the total amount of ballast used or placement in the car would not.

There will be no statement of maximum amount of weight or location in regards to ballast. The guideline for mounting ballast is to have one 3/8" bolt and fender washers to 10 lbs of ballast. Regional Tech Inspectors will have final authority in deciding if the ballast mounting is safe.

I'm new to GTS (I ran 944 spec last year) but in that series the ballast had to be mounted basically where the passenger seat would be. I think it said something like 'no farther forward than the stock seat mounting points' then went on to list the size of the bolts that Ian already listed.

I'm new to GTS (I ran 944 spec last year) but in that series the ballast had to be mounted basically where the passenger seat would be. I think it said something like 'no farther forward than the stock seat mounting points' then went on to list the size of the bolts that Ian already listed.

GTS, unlike a spec series, has almost wide open rules other than the hp/weight ratio. It rewards engineering as well as driving, and perhaps more importantly allows a place for all the odd ball builds to race. Fortunately we are able to put weight were ever we want it in order to balance the car as best we can.

I ended up mounting a 48 lb brick in the nose of my 911, under the factory space tire that I also carry for ballast.

Is shot ballast allowed?

Were you thinking of pouring it into your frame rails? It's a good way to keep the weight really low, and if you heat up the rails with a torch, the shot will melt, so you don't have to worry about it moving around or pouring back out again.

And John won't make you pick it up with tweezers...