In car viedo

Mike L

I am looking into putting a viedo camara in my car. I looked at the purpose built systems (pricey), the GOPRO looks nice but now I am hearing that there are shutoff and sound problems with it? Several of my local autocrossers recomended a conventional viedo camra. I am try to stay under 250$. Does anyone have any recomendations for a good inexpensive system that is easy to use and reliable in the road racing enviorment that is easy to upload to a computer? My car has an I/O port camara mount in it already. Thanks for any input!

I had a Canon ZR500 MiniDv camera, worked great, just a pain to transfer to my computer.

Switched to Samsung SC-MX10 Digital Memory card camera like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370156334945&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3F%26satitle%3D370156334945%26fvi%3D1

Easy to transfer vids for editing on the PC, good video quality and easy to use.

Here is a recent video taken using the same I/O Port mount you have.

MAKE SURE YOU CLICK THE "WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY"

I am looking into putting a viedo camara in my car. I looked at the purpose built systems (pricey), the GOPRO looks nice but now I am hearing that there are shutoff and sound problems with it? Several of my local autocrossers recomended a conventional viedo camra. I am try to stay under 250$. Does anyone have any recomendations for a good inexpensive system that is easy to use and reliable in the road racing enviorment that is easy to upload to a computer? My car has an I/O port camara mount in it already. Thanks for any input!

If you're looking for a quick and easy setup for in-car video, digital camcorders are the way to go. A lot of people in my region are using Aiptek cameras, both new and old models. They are cheap and easy to come by (at BestBuy and others), plus they support external input in case you want to get a bullet cam and shoot video from some more interesting angles. The older ones put out ASF files (basically Windows Media) that are formatted a little funny (some apps choke a bit), but can still be edited with Windows Movie Maker and other programs. The newer high-def ones put out MPEG-4/H.264 and come with software that can convert it too.

Spontaneous shut-off is an occasional problem with many cameras when used in race cars, due to all the vibration, but what works well on the Aiptek cameras is putting a thin piece of cardboard or a folded piece or paper in the battery compartment so that the battery stays firmly in place. I also like to put a couple drops of super-glue around the tripod mounting hole to strengthen it (video got a little wobbly after I wrecked into a wall, but superglue fixed it!).

If you get a high-def camera (ie 720p or 1080p), I'd recommend against recording in the highest quality that your camera supports... it makes files huge and performance can lag when you go to edit it on your computer, or in some cases (ie older computers) even when you try to play them. But even 480p (ie DVD quality / 720x480) looks really good when shot with a high-def camera, and that's all I find myself really needing or wanting when producing DVD's, and especially Internet clips.

Anything miniDV will work fine and be under you $250 price point. I think I paid about that for my Panasonic. I just looked for the cheapest one with an external mic attachment - which allows you to run a mic to the front (engine) or rear (exhaust) of the car instead of hearing wind from the windows.

There are 3 camaras I am looking at ,any feedback on them would be appricated. A: Panasonic SDR-S7 B: Aiptec A-HD PRO 10 C: Insignia NS-DCC5HB09. All are at Best buy All below 200$ The Aiptec does not appear to have image stabilization? Panasonic lesser resolution ? And Insignia looks to good to be true @ 149$ (i.e. POS???) Have not put hands on yet, but if anyone has experience with them I would like to hear about both pros/cons Or if any other recomendations to look at.

Thanks for the info it has been very helpful!

what ever camera you pick up, make sure that have both a hard drive & a SD card, mini SD etc. all the cameras that I have used (high dollar / low dollar ones ) all seem to work better when you record direct to a sd, mini sd etc. I have found that that most cameras do not like the vibration of the car and shut down to a safe mode. (Maybe its just my car) also, the external mic jack is a great option.

Rick

• 1 month later...

get the new aiptek with the motion stabilizer under $200

wide angle adaptor (I had to actually epoxy it to my older aiptek,not sure if they have threads yet

a very good mount

an external mic if possible

record in 720p

and let er rip in HD on vimeo...youtube even with HQ is not even close.

here is my first attempt with only velcro and tape...too shaky and I need an external mic...but the image quality is great!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Edited by Guest

get the new aiptek with the motion stabilizer under $200

wide angle adaptor (I had to actually epoxy it to my older aiptek,not sure if they have threads yet

a very good mount

an external mic if possible

record in 720p

and let er rip in HD on vimeo...youtube even with HQ is not even close.

here is my first attempt with only velcro and tape...to shaky but the image quality is great and I need an external mic

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that is awesome, I'm leaning towards this option when I'm buying a camera setup.

Was that the same model I was looking at? or another and where did you get it! Picts look grat and imag stab seems to work well esp with the camera loose in the air stream, sound not bad either in air stream. Does the camera have ext mic imput?

This looks like the ticket. Thanks for the info cheap simple and good pics. I will be ordering mine next paycheck Thanks agin for the info.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i've had good luck with the gopro's...i can get them for pretty cheap for ya too ($160)

a lot of shut-off problems are probably caused by low batteries or cheap batteries...i got some fairly pricey rechargeable ni-cad's i believe or lithium whatever (they suggest this in their instructions)...there are also two sound settings, the default setting is for recording outside the car, there is another setting for inside the car...also a removable "muffler" gasket that can be removed for total sound capture.

...also be very happy with their outside recording footage...you can stick these things anywhere!

...they also take up to an 8 gig card (not 2 as posted on box)

I have the gopro camera as well, and it does do a good job.. I have mounting brackets all over the car I have the 2 gig card in it i have not tried a larger card. have you had any issues with larger card??? if not.. I think I may need to do a little card shopping

Rick

# 91

no problems with the 8 gig so far...have not gotten a chance to fill it all the way up, wouldn't imagine it would be an issue.

here is my .02 on these cameras.

best image quality in this price range and even better than many more expensive cameras

must use external mic

a wide angle lens adaptor adds but on some aipteks the edge blur is worse than others...still figuring this out.

the tall profile is ok if it's not in the wind and you have a good mount.

the metal female mount on the bottom can just snap out!!!...don't overtighten

for me it's love and hate with these...I keep looking for something better but I keep coming back

I will post a recent clip here soon

• 3 weeks later...
I am interested in the Aiptek also. However, it looksl like it will just wobble since it is tall. yes ? no?

41c-1SzLs9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tighten the screws under the battery, then superglue the seam between the two halves of the case at the bottom, especially around the tripod mounting hole. They're usually alright when new, but start wobbling over time, and this tightens them back up again (possibly better than new). Just don't glue your SD card door shut.

I have a sony that i bought from best buy for like 185. I forget which model but i did not set anything when i put it in the car, just bolt in and go. I love hitting curbs and it did not skip or anything

here is an example of the quality

• 1 month later...

...for anyone browsing who comes across this thread, there is a new GoProHD camera that retails for $300, i can get (but can't advertise) great pricing on these for anyone interested.

the new HD model is a true 1080i, wideangle 920 and highspeed 720p (for HQ slow-mo playback) recording modes, a new cellphone style rechargable battery, can hold up to a 32G car with up to 6 hours or recording, lol (@720)....BUT, the best part is the options for an LCD viewfinder (can be remote), wireless microphone options, wireless record/pause buttons...

COMING FALL 2009!! (some accy not available til dec)

• 2 years later...