What type of LSD for an H4 CRX?

0x1

So it became pretty clear to me at PIR this weekend that I could really use an LSD in my soon to be H4 rex (D-series tranny). I've done some limited research on the various types of LSD's (clutch type, viscous, helical so far), but wanted to know if any type is more suited for a racing application than the others. My gut feeling is that a viscous LSD is right out because I'd probably turn the viscous liquid to glue after a few sessions on the track. The clutch type seems like it would be strong, but I really like the design of the helical (which I believe comes stock in the ITR). I don't know of any helical LSD's for the D-series trannies tho. Are there any other types of LSD's that I'm missing and should consider?

The other problem I find when I try to research specific LSD's is that they don't even say what type they are. Should I assume a particular type for racing applications?

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Scott

there is an D15b vtec motor from japan that came stock with LSD, i assum its the same as the ITR, maybe you can source one of those. i dunno how easy it would be or even if it fit though

you have all the types I know of.

This is what I have heard. The cluch type are really the best for road racing. The helical seem to do better in wet situations.

What I have seen, they all seem to do well. I know front runners that use either type of LSD, even a few that have an open diff..

I would say for a front drive car there are positives and many negatives of LSD's. I don't think that they are a hands down advantage or a necessity in a low hp H4 car like they are in a rear drive or H1 car. They seem to induce more understeer in the front drives, and we have enough of that already. In the H1 cars with lots of hp they are necessary, but in an H4 car, I am not convinced...yet.

Thanks for the input guys.

Hmm, perhaps I was jumping the gun a little bit. Instead of running out and buying an LSD after only 2 weekends getting to know the car, I should probably just put that money towards seat time and learning the car as it is. Still, I'm going to have to have the tranny out of the car soon anyway, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to throw in an LSD while I was at it.

• 1 month later...

Another thing to consider is a Phantom Grip unit. It works like a clutch type diff but uses your stock diff. I has to spring loaded shoes that ride against the spider gears, putting pressure on them. It just creates a resistance to one axle moving faster than the other. Cheep too, like $250 from Summit or Jegs.

I have a Quaffe in my 91 CRX Si street car, wouldn't drive the car without it!! There are a couple of JDM options that are rare. The ZC twin cam had an option for a LS unit, clutch type, but you would need the axles from that tranny as well.

Chris R.