STOCK CAR IN ST/SU

lou9a

Would an asphalt -type stock car (i.e.-late model type with spec-type body) be eligible in this class? Approx. 280# and 450 to 600 HP. Any thoughts on practicality and competitveness? Thanks!

I agree with Bob. In fact others do as well. There is a fairly healthy sized group of people who road race stock cars, and for good reason. Relatively cheap, easy to work on, reliable (low weight and understressed parts), parts availability, and a blast to drive.

A "full on" GT1/Trans Am-style car will be faster, but the costs to run one of those cars are very high.

Sorry about the typo. I am getting my"secret-car-club-of-America" comp license this year. I'm already scheduled for my first drivers school and currently doing my novice permit paperwork. I am renting a car for school. I have a bone-stock '87 325IS that would be a good SPEC30/ITS canidate. I also have quite a bit of leftover chevy stuff from my oval track adventures. Fresh engines, shocks,spring,gears,dry sumps, etc., and lots of other usable/transferable parts. The safety and the serviceability of the late model car is a consideration for me. I am reluctant to sacrifice a perfectly good 325IS to the racing Gods. I am just doing preliminary research to help decide what is best to do. I have prior asphalt and dirt experience with the late model type of car. I also have attended a BERTIL ROOS school and done some enduro Karting over the years. All input is appeciated and taken into consideration. THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE!

buy a used panoz...same benefits as a stock car....same benefits as a Trans-am chassis (not as strong for that much hp)...plus a very easy parts availability.....

Just ditch the engine and put in something good and go have fun! You can get a Panoz school car for 15k and down with an engine that you could ebay.

Can you tell I like the Panoz?????