HPDE 2 to 3

Buitrex

Hi,

I just did the HPDE2 event at VIR on Feb 21-22. My instructor gave me good feedback for the event and told me that he would recommend me to move to HPDE3.

How will I know if I can move to HPDE3, do i need to confirm with someone?

Will I learn more and obtain better experience if I move to HPDE3 than staying with HPDE2?

THanks

If you have 1-2's on all your skills in your passport, you feel comfortable moving into a very fast group with different passing rules, and you have good evaluations from prior instructors( we do check) sign up for HPDE3

Will I learn more and obtain better experience if I move to HPDE3 than staying with HPDE2?

Depends on your goals and desires. HPDE3 in MA is "passing anywhere with a point-by, non-instructed" and it is a generally faster group than HPDE2. If these things appeal to you, go for it.

Jon

Also note: the region may request a check ride/second opinion, based on your prior instructor's comments and/or your total number of events to date. Several folks on the MA staff, including myself, are happy to sit with you anytime.

Jon

I’m not sure how they run the HPDE in your area but here in Northern California they sometime run HDPE 1 & 2 at the same time which slows things down a bit. If you run 2 alone speeds do pick up a little but you need to concentrate more on your drive line than speed because when you move into HPDE 3 the speeds will increase by a substantial amount and by the second day you can pass anywhere on the track which can be a little intimidating for your first time in HPDE 3 also, If your instructor feels you can advance to the next level he / she should have signed your HPDE pass book no matter what class you are in the more seat time you have the better driver you will be.. enjoy

Rick

#91 GTS 3

Thanks for your feedback

My previous experience came from outside of NASA. I just did open track days when I lived in Mi.

I have 1 two day track event at VIR with Mazdadrivers last year and I one NASA event at Rockingham with NASA SE.

This was my first event with NASA MA where I got my passport, so I only have the feedback from that Instructor in it.

I do not know if I will feel confortable in group 3 unless I try it even if it is with an instructor with me. I do not mind the speed, but I do want to see if I can handle the intensity or not.

If I try it and I think or the instructor thinks I should be or not there then I can always move back to group 2. Is this possible?

Thanks

The Feb 21-22 was my first HPDE3 event and I loved it. If you're good at watching your mirrors and are aware, I wouldn't say it's too intense.

How will I know if I can move to HPDE3, do i need to confirm with someone?

In NASA-Florida, a check ride is required before moving up into any other level. Down here, you would register for HPDE-2 and then request a check ride early in the day. A check ride with another instructor would be arranged for sometime that day (there aren't usually too many check ride instructors, so there might not be too many slots), and they will either approve or disapprove of your advancement into HPDE-3. Also, down here, the check ride occurs during the session of the group you want to move into, so going from 2 to 3 is a bit of a trial by fire with faster drivers and less restrictive passing rules (to check your awareness and see how you handle traffic). Also, it depends on your level of comfort as well, but if you aren't comfortable after a session or two in HPDE-3, then nobody will fault you for switching back to HPDE-2.

Of course, your region may vary.

Mark

Midwest runs the same "check-ride" requirement. Basically, if you're driving over everybody in the 1/2 run group, and getting frustrated because you aren't allowed to get around them quickly enough and it blows your rhythm, then you're probably ready for HPDE-3. Brace yourself, though... I went from being an absolute land missle in 1/2, making bets with myself how much of the field I would lap in a 20 minute run, to being a rolling roadblock in HPDE-3. It took about a half session for me to LEARN how to really watch my mirrors, but after that, I learned more in the second run in DE-3 than I did in the average weekend in 1/2. The drivers are better, which means the cars are moving faster, and different skill sets need to be developed. I found religion the first time I followed a C5 through a corner and discovered how trail-braking works... It's a whole new world, and well worth making the trip. I would ask for a check ride if you're very comfortable out on the track, can easily handle passing and being passed, and have very good situational awareness... AS you're making the transition back online after a pass, are you still cognizant of the flag stations? That sort of thing. As the weekend progresses, things get a lot more open, and there are some pretty fun drills (side-by-side parade laps at decent speed, running the right side of the track ONLY, etc.) that really teach you a lot about car control and environmental conditions.

I'm at the "land missile" stage of HDPE 2, yet have no passenger seat for ride alongs. What do I do? (Great lakes region)

Do I need to do my ride along int he car I'm using that weekend, or can I take the family wagon out there and get signed off?

I've been with NASA since 2001 where I did my first HPDE at NASA's first Beaverun event. I got up to HPDE3 via the old system, then had a kid and dissapeared for a few years.

Came back in 2 last year, and I'd like to move on. I'd even sat in on the HPDE3 drivers meetings when I could. I attempted to run some laps without using my brakes, but in a 1-2 crowd it's just impossible.

I'm at the "land missile" stage of HDPE 2, yet have no passenger seat for ride alongs. What do I do? (Great lakes region)

Do I need to do my ride along int he car I'm using that weekend, or can I take the family wagon out there and get signed off?

Down here, you can run any vehicle in HPDE that meets the HPDE requirements in the CCR. Since HPDE is more about the driver than the car, you should be fine (of course, there's a world of difference between a Camry and a Radical...lol). If it's just not possible to put a passenger seat in the car (Thunder Roadster, etc.), then I have seen instances where a check ride instructor will ride shotgun in another car that is following yours. But, if at all possible, it's easiest to put a passenger seat and belts in the car, even if you have to borrow them just for that session (and make sure that they are structurally sound).

Mark

Exactly. If you don't/can't have a passenger seat in the car, the instructor will either drive or ride in a car behind you...

Thanks for your feedback

My previous experience came from outside of NASA. I just did open track days when I lived in Mi.

I have 1 two day track event at VIR with Mazdadrivers last year and I one NASA event at Rockingham with NASA SE.

This was my first event with NASA MA where I got my passport, so I only have the feedback from that Instructor in it.

I do not know if I will feel confortable in group 3 unless I try it even if it is with an instructor with me. I do not mind the speed, but I do want to see if I can handle the intensity or not.

If I try it and I think or the instructor thinks I should be or not there then I can always move back to group 2. Is this possible?

Thanks

If you only have 3 weekends driving, you will not likely be approved for HPDE3 in the MA region

Take advantage of the "traffic" in HPDE 2 as a time to run some "offline" exercises.

You'll want to get some experience going thorugh the turns using only 1/2 the track. Then when you get a late pass in HPDE3 it won't be your first time seeing that part of the track.

Thanks for your feedback

Thanks

Group 2 is a good choice right now based on that. Group 3 is a HUGE leap and from experience in speed going from I am catching him to OMG that guy is freakin fast!!! It is a big transition for sure and you want to have a lot of DE2 experience to develop your skills of watching whats coming in your mirror and preparing yourself for passing any where on any side with a point....which is the key. Even slow guys(cars) like me see and prepare in advance to set up a fast point by to get faster cars by fast...even in places that are less then comfortable.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

I guess I will sign up in 2 per nasaregistrar's reply and see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Be humble, express to HPDE 3 drivers in prebrief how greatful you are, THEY NEED TO TRUST YOU, don't freak out when they cram your mirrors, Hold your line and they will go around, start toward the rear of group, and learn everything you can. NASA wants clean drivers. Not out of control. So if you are a little slower but safe, you'll be OK to take that next leap. Faith in the system and your driving. As stated you are going to start drinking from a much bigger pond. Good Luck. Sign up for 3 and you will love it.

^ one of the things we do in MA to help facilitate that first weekend in a new run group is provide 3" bright orange circle stickers to go on the back of the car. They are distributed in the first classroom sessions, usually with introduction/discussion. This is a simultaneous badge of honor and 'hey guys, I'm new here' mark. It works well.

Update, I signed up for G3 after getting NASA's approval.

I appreciate all your comments and feedback.

I will definitely have the 3" orange sticker on my car. So if anyone sees a civic with one, that is me, be a little patient at least in the first session.

Thanks