How hard is it to put power-steering on EG. possible?

hevekli

why?

I don't see the point. Add weight, and i don't like the way it feels.

if your car is to hard to turn grow some muscels.

why ! , because it allows to have more precise control instead of fighting the steering wheel in each narrow corners. Instead of going to Gym, I personally prefer p/s, because I will afford less work. Weight wise it is no problem at all-for example every Eg Hybrids with “K” series motor has to be about : 2350 lbs.

I agree with hevekli. I had them in my EG and went out of my way to have it on my EK as well. For the same exact reason, to be able to be more precise without wearing yourself out.

ehhh i have had bad experances with P/S.

maybe i just haven't had enough track time to appreciate it. I dunno personal preferance i guess.

well i think that you will need a new steering rack, along with the pump and lines and what not.

try searching http://www.honda-tech.com do a search in the EG civic- del sol forum it might have been discussed in there.

The only concern that I have about having a p/s is loss of HP not the weight Gentlemen. It will cost me about 3-4 horsepowers. But, I think it is worthed.

So to sum it up, you want less power and more weight in exchange for less feedback and less accurate steering input? The thing is that with modern speed-sensitive power steering, they basically give you lots of power assist at low speeds and none at high speeds. That's because you want to be able to whip the wheel around a parking lot at low speeds, but still want precision and feedback at high speeds. Since a racecar is always at high speeds and you always want the precision, it doesn't really make sense to have power steering. The only time I find it even a little difficult to turn my car is when I'm going less than 10 mph. Is it worth 3 or 4 hp and the weight gain and the work and time and money just to make it a little easier to putt around the paddock?

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

- Scott

I switched my EG to power steering. It was worth it in my opinion - the PS rack has a better ratio, you get much less fatigue driving, and you can control the car better, especially in 'S' turns or hairpins. It was 5 hp on my car.

To swap go to a junk yard and get the rack and plumbing out of a EG Civic or Del Sol. Get all the hoses, mounting brackets, pump and bottle. The Type R pump is a little smaller and lighter from memory.

The rack is a bolt in apart from the passenger side mount, which is smaller for the manual rack than the power rack. You can either switch over the whole sub frame, or alter the bracket and bushing to fit. It's not a big job.

So to sum it up, you want less power and more weight in exchange for less feedback and less accurate steering input? The thing is that with modern speed-sensitive power steering, they basically give you lots of power assist at low speeds and none at high speeds. That's because you want to be able to whip the wheel around a parking lot at low speeds, but still want precision and feedback at high speeds. Since a racecar is always at high speeds and you always want the precision, it doesn't really make sense to have power steering. The only time I find it even a little difficult to turn my car is when I'm going less than 10 mph. Is it worth 3 or 4 hp and the weight gain and the work and time and money just to make it a little easier to putt around the paddock?

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

- Scott

You are wrong.

Why do you think modern race cars run power steering?

• 5 weeks later...
Has anyone put power-steering in a hatch. I would really like to do it. Any suggestions.

I have also done it using parts from a DC2.

Try to get an enlarged pulley as to not cava Tate the fluid at high RPMs.

The two reasons that I don’t use P/S is one, I find it harder to tell when the front end brakes lose, and at high speeds it tends to make me want to over steer.