Anyone have experience with a stock GTO or G35 coupe?

Klayfish

Thought maybe I'd ask my question here. I've asked at both the GTO forum and G35 forums, but got limited responses.

Long story short, I'm trying to find myself a nice "jack of all trades" daily driver car. I've always driven a crappy daily car but kept a nice weekend toy. I've decided it's time to trade the weekend only car in for something I'll drive more often. I'm looking for something that can give me some comforts and nice touches for the daily commute. But something that can also be quick and fun when I want it to be. The car will be 99% street driven, but I do hope to run one or two autox events and an HPDE event or two per year. I have about 35-40 autox events and about 8 or so HPDE events experience.

I've narrowed my choices to the GTO and the G35, as in the sub $18K range, I think they'd fit my criteria best. They both have pros and cons. The G35 has more luxury, better looks and supposedly handles better. The GTO has more raw power with potential to go nuts.

Do any of you have experience on how these cars handle in stock form when pushed hard? I know the GTO seems to have a reputation for being softly sprung. But how bad is it? I don't expect to run down an Elise through the esses, but would it at least be "fun"? What about the G35? How does it handle? Like I said, the car would be mainly street driven, but handling is a major priority to me.

Thanks.

Steve

Coupe or sedan?

I started HPDE with the G35, it is a little heavy but has a good range of power, handles well and is a ton of fun on the track. Upgrade the brake pads (Carbotec XP8 highly recommended) and you're good to go.

There's plenty of after market support since it shares parts with the 350Z (engine, brakes and suspension).

The traction/stability control switch barely reduces the stability control. However, the yaw sensor can be accessed by popping the center console and pulling the plug and essentially disables the system. (5 min job once you know how)

G35 out of those two but have you looked at 350Z? Im little biased lol but its a lighter and better car in my opinion. I chose it over the G35 simply because of the looks, performance, and the beautiful Z history/legacy.

I'm looking at the G35 coupe. My wife owned a 2004 G35x and I thought it was a really nice handling car. But I never autox or took it to HPDE. It is nice that it shares most of it's stuff with the Z car, so it can be upgraded, but since I'll be driving it 99% on the street, I'd keep mods to a minimum.

What I can't figure out is the GTO. When I read some forums, they talk about it being a somewhat sloppy handler. But when you read the reviews on it from C&D or Motor Trend, etc...they all say it handled well. Like I mentioned, I have no expectations of it running down a small and agile car. But I just want a car that will be enjoyable on the rare days I get to play.

Steve

OK - here's my opinion and as an Aussie living in Southern Cal you may think I may be biased. I think the GTO is a great car - but the US version does need to get sorted out - suspension and brakes to start with. With 6.0 LS2 it's a great all round car.

Having said that, I track our C6 LS2 Vette (Z51, but with Vortech supercharger installed - A&A Corvette, Oxnard) and while many of my instructors in HPDE 1 and 2 think I am a complete idiot for doing that I am having a blast but yes, the power delivered through the paddle shift has had to be worked on to get right.

So I went out and bought a G37s - and what a car! For fun and daily drive it's great - it's turned out to be too nice and now we don't want to track it at all - well, not immediately. Last weekend at Willow Springs and with SoCal HPDE, a group showed up with a G37 sedan - and rotated srives between some HPDE 1 and 2 - with some outings in HPDE 3 - what a blast. Depending on the driver, I had a tough time keeping up in my blown LS2 - so the G37 (even though pretty heavy, as others observed) in the right hands can offer serious performance. Bottom line? unless you already get a GTO that's been sorted out, then a G35 may be a good way to go given your pririties.

Hope this helps .... and don't let my own instructors at SoCal let on that I am providing this feedback as I am defending (robustly) my decision to keep on learning with the Vette!

Any stock car feels soft if you drive it hard. So yes, the GTO will move around on the springs but it's not bad on a big racetrack. On a tight track it's OK. I haven't autocrossed one but you would probably really notice it's weight there. I really enjoy the GTO when I get to drive one on track. And with a decent driver it will turn in respectable lap times. I think the GTO delivers staggering value and will be one of the last great muscle cars.

The G35 coupe is very attractive to me but I've not driven one.

David

Thanks for the feedback rkbuckle and DWNSHFT. It's good arguing points for both cars. I'm thinking that it's really going to come down to personal taste and choice. Just so hard to pick... Like DWNSHFT said, I really like the looks of the G35. It's "loaded" and the FM platform it's built on has been highly praised. Interestingly enough, the sedan weighs about 50lbs less than the coupe. But as has been said here, the GTO has the LS2 and sounds like it would be a capable performer on a bigger track.

The tracks I'd likely run are Pocono, and if I'm lucky, Watkins Glen.

Gonna have to go test drive the cars and get a feel for them. I guess I also have to keep reminding myself that whatever I chose will need to be something I'm happy with commuting to and from work.

Steve

Hey - both of these cars will be great to own and to have fun in ... so don't stress, drive them both and just go with what you feel through the seat ....

Let us know anyhow ....

Get to the track and beg for a ride in each. It's awfully difficult to evaluate a car's on-track performance while driving on the street.

David

There is quite abit of work to be done to the GTO to make it a track toy. At the very min you need to replace a few fluid filled bushings. The stock brakes on an 04 are horrible. The 05-6 aren't to bad but will need to be upgraded if your gonna do more than a couple of track days a year. I wouldn't trade my GTO for anything but it's not the best handleing car out there esp at 3900+ lbs. The LS1 is a blast to drive at the longer tracks like Road America. I typically hit 147 down the front straight and close to that from 3-5. It's a rush. The older G35 (not sure which year) comes with all the Nismo goodies like brembo brakes and better suspension. They are faster on tighter coarses, but out on the road, there isn't much that can take the GTO. The seats are great and rides very nice. It's a tough decision. If I had to do it all over again......I'd still pick the GTO!! Nothing like the sound of an American V8!!

Good luck.

G35 & 350Z have many-many HiPo parts to chose from..wheels, brakes, engine mods, differentials...everything needed for track-car duty...

BTW: Get a G35 with Brembo brakes...you will thank yourself later....

i tracked a G35 sedan about 12 times. the brakes are the WORST! I was changing rear pads ever 30 min. sesson. Now when I was tracking the car nobody but stillen made aftermarket pads so I mostly used stillen and factory pads. We added ducting and anything that might help. But changing the rear ever session was no fun. I also put in JIC FLT high end coil overs. The car handled amazing. I was easily hanging with a 99 M3 (my brother). Then the automatic started freaking out. The manual mode worked great but eventually it must have heated up and would stay in the gear it got hot in.

I took everything off the car and kept driving it on the street and bought a race car with a cage, extinguisher, etc.

If I was cooking the brakes and the tranny it was time.

Wow, and I thought the GTO brakes were bad. The only real problem with the 04 GTO brakes is the caliper size, they're just to small. The factory installed bigger ones on the 05-6's but they are still on the small side for a 3900lbs car. The front uses corvette pads, so they're available in all types of compounds.

i tracked a G35 sedan about 12 times. the brakes are the WORST! I was changing rear pads ever 30 min. sesson. Now when I was tracking the car nobody but stillen made aftermarket pads so I mostly used stillen and factory pads. We added ducting and anything that might help. But changing the rear ever session was no fun. I also put in JIC FLT high end coil overs. The car handled amazing. I was easily hanging with a 99 M3 (my brother). Then the automatic started freaking out. The manual mode worked great but eventually it must have heated up and would stay in the gear it got hot in.

I took everything off the car and kept driving it on the street and bought a race car with a cage, extinguisher, etc.

If I was cooking the brakes and the tranny it was time.

Same for me on the automatic tranny which is why I went to something else after a couple of weekends. Still driving it on the street, very reliable automobile.

I had no problem with the brakes using fresh rotors and Carbotech XP8 pads.

I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, but after doing lots of reading and talking to people with experience, I'm leaning heavily towards the GTO. I still favor the styling of the G35 and know it's a more "nimble" car. But when I think about what I really like in a car, and the primary use the car will get, I'm thinking the GTO will be the better fit for me. The GTO is heavier and won't handle the tight corners as well as the G35, but I'm confident that it will still be fun when the road gets twisty.

The early year G35s ('03 and '04) had the Brembo brakes, and if I bought a G35 I'd get an '05 or '06 as they have a nicer interior and more power. So I'd lose the Brembos, unless I went aftermarket. The '05 GTO has the LS2 motor and bigger brakes over the '04 GTO, so that's probably what I'd buy.

Once I find the right car, my hope is to run the GTO once or twice this year, and try to save enough money so that next year, I can buy an old Miata or something that I can dedicate as a track toy and not worry so much about hurting it...the key word there being hurting it not hurting me...

Steve

Once I find the right car, my hope is to run the GTO once or twice this year, and try to save enough money so that next year, I can buy an old Miata or something that I can dedicate as a track toy and not worry so much about hurting it...the key word there being hurting it not hurting me...

Steve

That is basically the route I took Steve and am glad I did.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you looked at used e46 M3s? They have lost a lot of value since the new M3 was released and also as a result of the poor economy. Just a thought. Might be better than either of the cars you listed...?

• 2 weeks later...
Someone in the Mid-Atlantic region runs a GTO, and it's quite fast. Even around the corners..

That would be me, although I'm not sure about the "fast" part.

I bought the car two years ago with no intention of putting it on a track. I didn’t even know HPDE or NASA existed at that time. Curse my brother for getting me into this craziness and curse NASA-MA for being an incredible organization with awesome members.

Knowing what I know now, I would’ve picked up an old mustang or C5, but I’ve had so much fun with the GTO, I probably will stick with it. I love having the rarest car at the track...

With that said, you’ll need to put in a couple of grand to tame the beast. Biggest issues when buying stock:

1) Horrible suspension - bushings, springs, struts/shocks all need to be replaced before jumping on track as they collapse/disintegrate even under very normal daily driving.

2) Too little tire and limited room for expansion - room up front is very rough. It took new wheels, fender rolling, coilovers, offset bushings (no camber plates currently available), and a minor act of God to get 17x9, 255s up front. Major act of God needed to get 275s up front.

3) Weak brakes on 05/06 models and death-wish brakes on the 04. I have an ‘06 which uses the same calipers as the C5Z06 and 12.4" rotors, which struggle sometimes to handle the 3900lb boat. I still worry about my brakes a bit too much at the end of most straights.

4) Not much weight you can strip out of the car. You can find ~150-200lbs to strip on the cheap. I have not done this as I need to keep it DD friendly.

Finally, outside of the engine/drivetrain, there is a very limited aftermarket for this car - few options and a bit more expensive.

The upside is the 6.0 LS2 (5.7 LS1 on the 04) – just loads of fun.

Let me know if you need more details. Hopefully I’ll see some of you at Summit Point in a few weeks. I’ll be the guy giving point-bys in Group 3.

-George

Someone in the Mid-Atlantic region runs a GTO, and it's quite fast. Even around the corners..

That would be me, although I'm not sure about the "fast" part.

I bought the car two years ago with no intention of putting it on a track. I didn’t even know HPDE or NASA existed at that time. Curse my brother for getting me into this craziness and curse NASA-MA for being an incredible organization with awesome members.

Knowing what I know now, I would’ve picked up an old mustang or C5, but I’ve had so much fun with the GTO, I probably will stick with it. I love having the rarest car at the track...

With that said, you’ll need to put in a couple of grand to tame the beast. Biggest issues when buying stock:

1) Horrible suspension - bushings, springs, struts/shocks all need to be replaced before jumping on track as they collapse/disintegrate even under very normal daily driving.

2) Too little tire and limited room for expansion - room up front is very rough. It took new wheels, fender rolling, coilovers, offset bushings (no camber plates currently available), and a minor act of God to get 17x9, 255s up front. Major act of God needed to get 275s up front.

3) Weak brakes on 05/06 models and death-wish brakes on the 04. I have an ‘06 which uses the same calipers as the C5Z06 and 12.4" rotors, which struggle sometimes to handle the 3900lb boat. I still worry about my brakes a bit too much at the end of most straights.

4) Not much weight you can strip out of the car. You can find ~150-200lbs to strip on the cheap. I have not done this as I need to keep it DD friendly.

Finally, outside of the engine/drivetrain, there is a very limited aftermarket for this car - few options and a bit more expensive.

The upside is the 6.0 LS2 (5.7 LS1 on the 04) – just loads of fun.

Let me know if you need more details. Hopefully I’ll see some of you at Summit Point in a few weeks. I’ll be the guy giving point-bys in Group 3.

-George

I'll agree that it's nice having the only GTO at the track and that they're very heavy but you can get them down in weight. Scott Young in GL region races one in AI and he is at 3175 IIRC.

2cnibyb.jpg

I'm only 3-6 sec behind him depending on which track we're at and I'm at 3930 lbs. The only weight savings besides the usuall spare tire removal is that I have a racing seat. The factory 05-6 calipers will take a dump after a season of use but I have switched to the SSBC calipers which are great. I have 17X8.5 w/255's up front with -3.50* camber with just a bolt on spacer. When you start to push in the turn, steer with you right foot. That helps a lot!!! Good luck!