Running Yokohama Slicks?

ianacole

Yokohama Slicks  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Yokohama Slicks

• I currently run them.
    • I have run them in the past, I would consider them again.
    • I haven't run them, I would consider them, though.
    • No interest in running them.

GTSers, what is your feeling on running Yokohama slicks? Please mark your poll choice, then provide any thoughts.

Thanks!

Ian

I voted "no interest" simply because my car is at the class minimum weight for DOTs and I don't want to add back 300 lbs. Otherwise, no opinion.

A couple of us tested them(Yoko slicks) back in '06 when our GTS-3 cars were heavier and could still stay in-class with slicks. May not be the case for all, but we found with the Yok's and the heavy weight of our cars, we were running about the same times as the Hoosier DOT's. They were a little quicker right at first, but fell off and never really proved for us to be an advantage in a heavy car.

Haven't tried them since we took weight out of the car. I would rather keep the weight off and just run the Hoosier DOT's. If I were in a position to run slicks I would use the new R100 Hoosier slicks. They have been working well for the guy's that have been running them and you still get the great support from Hoosier and all the contingency stuff too.

If not the Hoosiers there are better options than the Yokohama's such as Pirelli and Michelin though they do get a bit on the pricey side. Just my opinion, I'll be sticking with the Hoosier DOT's.

-Scott B.

I've run the Yoko's. They are a good tire. Not as good as some slicks (Dunlops and Hoosiers), but not nearly as expensive either.

Got a lot of new/used slicks (yoko, hoosier, dunlop, pirelli) and Hoosier R-comps for sale right now for anyone looking to try out some different tires:

Used Pirelli, Yoko, Dunlop slicks: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27041

New Hoosier R100 slicks: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27042

New/Used Hoosier R-comps and Rains: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27041

All can be delivered to VIR THIS WEEKEND!

I voted that I was not interested in running them because they are not legal in most vintage racing groups (which is where I run a lot of races).

--Mike

I ran sticker Yok's in my last race. In the sizes I run, the Yok's are about $100/tire cheaper but no faster as stickers than used, old, corded Dunlops. The contingency would have to be pretty big for me to run them again.

My only concern is tire setup. I've never run Yoko slicks, but if they require the same setup as Hoosier and Goodyear slicks, then this may be a concern for me as I cannot adjust my rear suspension to achieve the -.5 to 0 degree camber setting that is optimum with these slicks.

My only concern is tire setup. I've never run Yoko slicks, but if they require the same setup as Hoosier and Goodyear slicks, then this may be a concern for me as I cannot adjust my rear suspension to achieve the -.5 to 0 degree camber setting that is optimum with these slicks.

Perhaps you are comparing them to bias-ply Hoosier and Goodyear slicks rather than radial slicks? Very different tire construction and very different camber requirements.