Cage for body-on-frame car

Rustic

We are laying out the cage for the Impala and we are deciding on attachment points. In reading both the CCR and the AI rules, I'm having trouble determining when/where the cage needs to be attached to the frame and when it's attached to the body.

My preference is to cut through the body and attach to the frame. I would then use tabs or plates to also attach the cage to the body in the "pass through" locations. But I want to make sure this meets the rules before we start welding.

Thanks

Chris:

With a Body on Frame car your cage points will need to all connect with the actual frame. The body on these cars are not designed to take that type of load. You still need to look to the CCR for the specifics on mounting plates and such. With my Corvette we just cut through the floor and welded to the frame with mounting plates. Very substantial protection.

LM

The cage would have to run through the floor in order to attach to a load bearing member. The floor board in a frame car does not have a rocker panel/"frame rail" running under it, and would buckle. As long as the floorpan was not modified for any other reason, it would be legal. With the corvette we cut the hole in the floorpan to weld the cage in, then welded the original floor pieces back in (the floor in the Corvette was metal, the rear luggage area was fiberglass, and we glassed the pieces back in).

We are definetly going to weld the cage to the frame... I really just wanted to make sure it was also OK to connect to the body with tabs or plates in other locations to keep the body moving with the frame and to add a bit of stiffness.

We will make sure the mounting plates meet the CCR.

One more little clarification.....

The frame on my car is just a C-channel in the area of the attachment of the main hoop. This worries me a bit in the strength department. Can I box the frame for 12" or so to provide a solid mount area for the main hoop?

Basically, I'm thinking that a piece of 6" angle iron would work as both a mounting plate and a frame "boxer" at the same time.

Chris,

Based on the reaction that we received for notching our frame I would be surprised if you could do anything with your frame without it being considered a competitive advantage.

Geez Mark, give it a break already. There is a long history of acceptance of chassis stiffening such as subframe connectors, including through-the-floor types. I don't see where this is any different. He wants to ADD to it, not REMOVE material from it-- and it is in the interest of safety, not performance. What you guys did-- remove material for the purpose of suspension clearance-- isn't even close to the same thing.

Rustic, I would recommend directing your questions to Lawrence... he's the one that will be inspecting the car and making the decisions (or sending the decision up the ladder if needed), so he's your best source... but keep us in the loop as to what you find out.

Jeff,

I'm just saying that he had better make it PERFECTLY CLEAR what he wants and get it in writing that the modification is allowed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I honestly am amazed at how much discussion there was around our frame notching. If I'm not mistaken Jeff you were one of the guys that said that there should be NO modifications allowed to the frame at all other than those mentioned in the rules. If you weren't I apologize but I'm not going to go back and check. I could honestly care less what he does but if Chris runs competitively be prepared for some pushback.

Just giving him some advise from someone who went down the gray area road ..........

One quick point of clarification. Lawrence has NO say in the legality or rule interpratation of the AI rules. LM's power in the series is based on safety only. Eric Meehan (AI Director OH/IN) has the ability to decide (in conjunction with RF/JWL) what is legal and what is not.

If you are going to ask questions about what is legal and what is not please make sure that you are asking the correct person otherwise if may not carry any weight.

Jeff, if you think the blue car pushes the envelope as far as the rules go you will be blown away at some of the cars that show up in the upcoming year in both AI and AIX.