GTS2 Race Video - Saturday Race #2

Enzo

Excellent GTS2 Racing Action, Race #2 Mid-Ohio Saturday April 11

http://www.vimeo.com/4156167

Sorry - there is no sound. I forgot to turn on the mic !!

- this was a fun race!

I started P2 and was running pretty good (Scott G. was nowhere in sight, of course) until I overcooked it coming out of the Bus Stop, almost went off at Keyhole, and lost position to Brad. As Brad got held-up by slow traffic in turn #11, I tried to make a move going down into Thunder Valley, but we were 3 wide, Brad had position, and the track just wasnt wide enough for everybody! Soon thereafter Mike slipped by entering the Bus Stop. I finished in 4th, with the three of us crossing the line just a few car lengths apart, which made for an excellent and very memorable race! I enjoyed every minute of it and I am looking forward to doing it again soon. Hope you guys enjoy the video!

Edited by Guest

Great fun!! Looks like it was an absolute blast! Thanks for sharing.

That pass at 2:41 going into the bus stop was pretty incredible - he must have gotten a great run out of 1 to execute that pass.

Enzo,

Last weekend was a lot of fun and we had 3 great GTS 2 races. Sorry you couldn't be there on Sunday, but Mike and I had another intense battle. Now we just need to add a 3 foot high wing to our cars so we can catch up with Scott! Thanks for sharing the video.

Brad

That was a great battle and lot of fun. What was that little bit of editting on the last time thru the keyhole

Are you coming to Putnam?

Enzo,

Last weekend was a lot of fun and we had 3 great GTS 2 races. Sorry you couldn't be there on Sunday, but Mike and I had another intense battle. Now we just need to add a 3 foot high wing to our cars so we can catch up with Scott! Thanks for sharing the video.

Brad

You don't need anything so radical...a ONE foot-high wing oughta do it!

That was a great battle and lot of fun. What was that little bit of editting on the last time thru the keyhole

Are you coming to Putnam?

Editing? What Editing? ..........just kidding

Although I'd really like to be at Putnam, I'm not going to make it. Both Putnam and Bluegrass are 350 mile trips for me, so I decided to pick one of them and I'm going with Bluegrass... I'm sure you guys will have a great race at Putnam though!

I would have thought Putnam was closer than that.

Well, according to my Microsoft Streets and Maps, Putnam is 354 miles, and Bluegrass is 344 miles from my house... so roughly the same distance...

Anyhow, I was able to dub sound to the video I posted earlier. I'll re-post it later this week since I've exceeded my upload limit on Vimeo for this week...

Here is the video with sound - I added an audio track from last years race (pro course) so the shift points dont line-up exactly, and NO, I'm not going WOT through the Bus Stop...

http://vimeo.com/4268161

Anyhow - hopefully this will make the video a little more interesting to watch...

Nice video, Enzo. Here's mine from Sunday:

Apologies for the editing...my first time. There's a small chunk missing and I have the date as 2008. My bad. It's 2009.

Nice racing! Thanks for posting. Seems like the 944 is the choice car for GTS2. How similar are these set up to 944 cups?

I'm not completely sure. My car has a full LEDA suspension, useless torsion bars, and fairly stiff springs. The motor is stock with intake and exhaust tweaks. The car is stripped, of course, plus Lexan and fiberglass as needed to get down to the minimum weight. I added a wing and splitter this year, too, and we're running much larger and stickier tires than 944 Cup.

Here's mine from Sunday:

Nice Video Scott! Thanks for Sharing. Maybe if I watch it enough times some of your speed will rub off on me (wishful thinking)....

much larger and stickier tires than 944 Cup.

How much larger and stickier?

Most of the 944s/968s are running 245 fronts/285 rears. This year, I've changed to use 285s all the way around.

much larger and stickier tires than 944 Cup.

How much larger and stickier?

Most of the 944s/968s are running 245 fronts/285 rears. This year, I've changed to use 285s all the way around.

Interesting, I went to 275's all around this year, just about everyone thought I was crazy.

Interesting, I went to 275's all around this year, just about everyone thought I was crazy.

From what I can see, if the idea isn't something they've seen before, a lot of people think it won't work, but it's worth doing your own thinking. I heard the same thing about the 285s but I can tell you without a doubt that they fit.

I got the same kind of negative advice from a bunch of people you would expect to know about such things who all agreed our cars don't have enough power to take advantage of a wing. I did a bunch of research which said otherwise and built one anyway last winter. First weekend out, I dropped the M-O lap record by 1.4 seconds on 12-heat-cycle tires left over from last season. I'm saying wings work just fine.

Sometimes the conventional wisdom is just conventional and not all that wise.

From what I can see, if the idea isn't something they've seen before, a lot of people think it won't work, but it's worth doing your own thinking. I heard the same thing about the 285s but I can tell you without a doubt that they fit.

I got the same kind of negative advice from a bunch of people you would expect to know about such things who all agreed our cars don't have enough power to take advantage of a wing. I did a bunch of research which said otherwise and built one anyway last winter. First weekend out, I dropped the M-O lap record by 1.4 seconds on 12-heat-cycle tires left over from last season. I'm saying wings work just fine.

Sometimes the conventional wisdom is just conventional and not all that wise.

Mine got a wing last week . Only one day of testing so far (on a short track, low speed) but I was able to easily change the cars balance with the wing. So far, I'm liking it.

I don't think there's any question it's faster if you have it set up right. You're in GTS3, so it's probably a requirement if you really want to go fast. I assume you also added a splitter up front to balance it out?

I don't think there's any question it's faster if you have it set up right. You're in GTS3, so it's probably a requirement if you really want to go fast. I assume you also added a splitter up front to balance it out?

I added a front splitter this winter and that really helped with my front end lift at high-speed. Unfortunately it upset the balance of the car that could not be corrected with the sways and shocks, so I added the wing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AZeU0LQwIU4cyEkEDqUzkw?feat=directlink

Nice. Yep, that's a lot of splitter. The trick with all of this stuff is to hit a balance. If the car is set up properly for a balanced mechanical grip, which it should be before you mess with aero, then you have to add aero at both ends or--as you discovered--you'll actually be slower.

Here's mine...

newaero.jpg