Japanese 6 cyl that mates to a Porsche transaxle?

Blackbird222

I'm investigating a new project involving a lot of horses in a mid engine longiditually mounted drivetrain.

I'm looking at a turbocharged 6 cyl from a japanese donor (2JZ, RB26, VG30 etc...) that mates to a transaxle like Porsche's G50 (no $$ for a Hewland).

Has anyone seen something like that done before?

Thanks!

Do those motors spin the same way? Instead of re-inventing the wheel, go with a tried and true Chevy LS motor. There are adapter kits on the market that use the G50.

Such as...http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/standard.html

John

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just use a transverse FWD V6 & trans and stick it in back? G50's aren't exactly cheap, and adapting a non Porsche engine to one is just going to add more cost.

• 2 weeks later...

What about a 4 cyl SR20DET? I'm told it can make 400 hp pretty easy, and it would be smaller and lighter than the 6. There's a transverse mounted one for sale on craiglist in Washington, DC area. Although cooling the turbo from a mid-mount position might be hard.

• 1 month later...

Just saw a show on speed channel about offroad racers in Australia, a guy made a rig with a Nissan V6 out of a 90's 300zx mated to a Porsche transaxle. So it is feasible.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...