Zipper is done in my Nomex suit, can I use Velcro?

Cyclingpeaks

My Zipper is officially not working on my Nomex suit.

It has flaps, and wow, it would be great if I could just velcro it open and closed.

I have the technology to just sew in some velcro.

Would this be legal? Or am I going to get DQ'd?

Or will having velcro closures cause me to burn to a crisp in case of a fire?

thanks for any help.

Hunter

The zipper is part of the rated "assembly", so using velcro will make your suit no longer FIA/SFI rated, which is a requirement.

The velcro will also melt right away in a fire...

I had a feeling that might be the case.

So can I just have a local seamstress fix it? Or do I need some special fire-proof zipper?

Thanks.

Hunter

This is from the corner_carvers forum:

" finally got in touch with Gina at CV Products (my fault -- been putting it off -- I'm a lazy SOB.)

They can do the repair AND alter my suit (Its getting a little tight around the middle -- it must have shrunk in the wash! This explains why the zipper exploded, I think!)

They have the correct Nomex/Brass zippers (sourced from Sparco,) and Nomex fabric for the alteration (again, sourced from Sparco,) and use Nomex thread to do everything the Right Way.

I searched high and low for a zipper (The Wife can sew it in, and if she can't, The Mother-In-Law can,) and I found the right zipper, but it used either cotton or polyester tape. I found zippers that use Nomex tape at Pegasus Racing, but the longest zipper they have is 4" too short. So CV Products it is.

So if you guys need a suit altered or repaired, you could do much worse than give these folks a call. You'll want to talk to Gina in Embroidery -- 800-448-1223."

CV products was well regarded in the thread.