Bolt-in Roll Bars and their legality for HPDEs

trahsub

I recently got hooked on HPDEs and plan to make some safety upgrades to my E36M3 in the near future. Plans include a bolt-in roll bar, a pair of recaros, and some 4 or 5 point harnesses. I was talking with a friend who also participates in HPDEs and he mentioned that bolt in bars may not be permitted in the future. Is this the case? I don't want to shell out a couple grand only to find out I need a weld-in roll bar.

Anyone in the know on this subject please interject.

Chris

I would find it difficult to believe that a safety feature like a bolt on roll bar would be an issue. It is adding to your safety and protection. You may want to confirm his source.

You sure he may not be referencing a harness bar?

Seeing as how bolt in cages are still legal for racing, I see no possible way your friend could be in any way correct.

I recently got hooked on HPDEs and plan to make some safety upgrades to my E36M3 in the near future. Plans include a bolt-in roll bar, a pair of recaros, and some 4 or 5 point harnesses. I was talking with a friend who also participates in HPDEs and he mentioned that bolt in bars may not be permitted in the future. Is this the case? I don't want to shell out a couple grand only to find out I need a weld-in roll bar.

Anyone in the know on this subject please interject.

Chris

a couple grand for a pre-bent cage? why not just get a custom full cage for that kinda money?

and some 4 or 5 point harnesses.

Chris

Do not even consider the 4 point harnesses. 5 or 6 point is what you want to look at. In the MA region, 4 point will not pass tech.

When I say couple of grand I mean the total cost of the bar, seats, and harnesses, probably HANS device too.

Question about 5 point harnesses and certain seats. Can a Recaro Speed or Sparco Torino seat accept a 5-point configuration?

When I say couple of grand I mean the total cost of the bar, seats, and harnesses, probably HANS device too.

Question about 5 point harnesses and certain seats. Can a Recaro Speed or Sparco Torino seat accept a 5-point configuration?

The torino will not accept 5 points. Really its best to just shell out the cash to get a really good race seat right off the bat. You can get quality fiberglass seats that are FIA certified for under 1000 including the side mount brackets.

The torino will not accept 5 points. Really its best to just shell out the cash to get a really good race seat right off the bat. You can get quality fiberglass seats that are FIA certified for under 1000 including the side mount brackets.

Well I know comprimise cars never excel at one task, but I'm hoping to keep my car somewhat streetable as my current house has zero, repeat, zero room for a trailer so I need to drive to events (I know about the roll bar danger in a street car stuff). What I'm getting at is I'd like to get a seat that reclines so I can still gain access to the back seat in my coupe. But it sounds like none may accept 5-points. . .

• 2 weeks later...

Well I know comprimise cars never excel at one task, but I'm hoping to keep my car somewhat streetable as my current house has zero, repeat, zero room for a trailer so I need to drive to events (I know about the roll bar danger in a street car stuff). What I'm getting at is I'd like to get a seat that reclines so I can still gain access to the back seat in my coupe. But it sounds like none may accept 5-points. . .

If you have a means of towing, you can always rent a U-haul auto transport to trailer your car to the track. Quite a few people do this

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they don't out-law bolt in bars anytime soon. I would like to go w2w some day. Would suck to redo it all, but would be safer.

Recaro Speed will suit your needs. Just make sure to get the sub-belt provision if you already have a 5-point harness

You really don't have to get the sub-belt provision though. You can use a 6-point belt. I have used Sabelt and Crow 6-point harnesses with a Recaro SRD (the previous version of the current Speed).

BTW the Recaro is a VERY nice dual purpose seat. I had these in my 911 for a while and wish I kept them. The ability to fold the seat back and use harnesses is very nice for DE use where you haul a bunch of crap in your car. This is not as important for your M3, but it's VERY important for the 911 which needs all the rear seat room it has because the front trunk is not deep enough to hold some big items (like multiple tires).

The Recaro is also very comfortable. Great seat for DE use. If you plan to go full-on racing, then obvioulsy choose a fixed-back seat. I ended up switching to a Cobra Imola S and have to say it's also a very nice high quality seat.

I hope they don't out-law bolt in bars anytime soon. I would like to go w2w some day. Would suck to redo it all, but would be safer.

get log booked now - That way you can be "grandfathered in" so to speak...