financial need contingency programs

jiggyracing

The following proposal is meant to be thought provoking. Unpleasant and emotional replies are discouraged.

I submit:

1. contingency programs based on placement in a race or by time trial time do not serve the greater purpose of club racing because they encourage "bending the rules" and even outright cheating

2. those with higher financial means or professional backing benefit from contingency programs as they can build faster cars. those without financial means run older tires, etc. and the cycle perpetuates itself.

3. contingency programs discourage on track wheel to wheel racing in small attended groups. For example: on a given day, if a PTB and PTC driver are running similar times there is an opportunity to have a fun on track dual. contingency programs discourage that possibility.

I propose:

1. contingency prizes are based on financial need. Yearly registration includes categories of income (e.g. 50k-75k, 75k-100k,etc). This information is private and known only to those that distribute contingency awards.

2. hoosier, hawk, pfadt, etc. decals are part of a standard side door number display (similar look as BMWCCA car). companies are assigned to different types of cars. Toyo for example on all spec miatas. hoosiers on all GTS cars. Pfadt on all corvettes. etc. All NASA race group and time trial drivers would be required to place these standard side door number displays. Time trial drivers could use a magnetic version

3. distribution of contingency prizes are confidential to avoid identifying individual incomes

Please let me know what you think. Again, thoughtful and polite replies are encouraged.

jiggyracing

I think companies want to support cars that win, people buy things that the fast cars are running. Unfortuantly money can by wins but that is the way racing is. Racing isn't cheap, it would be more prudent for a racer to race in a class he/she can afford, of course we rarly do that (myself included) but it is true winning breeds winning.

Why not just have a raffle and give stuff away at the morning meeting, that would serve the same purpose. JMO

• National Staff

This same post is already in the PT and SoCal Forums. It doesn't need to be posted everywhere.