AIX transmission

cobraracer66

I have used the search engine but to no avail. I am buying a new trans for my car (94 gt) and looking to run AIX in the future.It will be put behind a naturally aspirated pushrod stroker. I was trying to find out what most of the AIX cars are using. I have been quietly observing the forum for quite some time now but finally decided to post for help. If I am not doing this right try not to flame me too much Thanks in advance for any and all responses. Paul Ferrell (quietly waiting for the 2005 Nasa AIX rules)

We have had good luck with the Tremec TKO II. That is the version with the .82 5th gear which avoids the big dropoff when you need more legs.

We had the same tranny in the car from 2001 with the only maintanence being periodic synchro replacement.

A few of the big dog cars are running Jerico boxes.

Thats what I was hoping for. Those Jerichos are sure pricy! But I wasnt sure how many guys were using them and how much of an advantage they would give on lap times. The TKO-600 is the trans I was looking at! Thanks, Paul

I have run the TKO in my car for the last 4 years as a combination driver/OT/Drag car with about 500/500 to the tires without a single hiccup. Even with the turbo gone and AI power levels, mine is staying. Granted, the TKOII/600 with the .82 OD is better suited to racing but you shouldn't have trouble with anything in that family.

dog ring box is the only way to go in AIX.

My teamate and I have had issues with the 600 in our AI car. For some reason it has jammed in 2nd gear twice. Going back to tremec for a lookover, but has cost us a couple zeros as far as points are concerned.

Agreed.

Over 500 horsepower will detroy a Tremec (trust me). Then how much money will you save when you have to buy a new one? Learn from my mistakes. Do it right the first time. Over kill the Tranny! 2 cheap tranns are more expensive than 1 good one. Jerico, Roltek, G-Force are the only answers. I have a source for used G-Forces and Rolteks if you need it. Let me know.

Agreed.

Over 500 horsepower will detroy a Tremec (trust me). Then how much money will you save when you have to buy a new one? Learn from my mistakes. Do it right the first time. Over kill the Tranny! 2 cheap tranns are more expensive than 1 good one. Jerico, Roltek, G-Force are the only answers. I have a source for used G-Forces and Rolteks if you need it. Let me know.

$1600 is cheap? Damn. maybe I should be rethinking things...

--chad

HA! Yes $1600 is cheap. If you think you can run AIX and be competative and you think $1600 is expensive, you are going to get smoked in this class- at least in the Midwest region (where all the FAST AIX cars are).

We're in the same boat as Grizlbits. Blew apart 2 TKOII's, one only lasted 2 track days....and I'm not talking broken either, they were completely destroyed. Jerico all the way. I can get them with 0 miles, any gearing ratio you want, with a shifter for $2500. Price up a few TKO's and compare...

...at least in the Midwest region (where all the FAST AIX cars are).

Who is the Midwest is fast?

EDIT: boy... if I'm gonna try to make a slam on Griz, at least I should have the decency to use proper Engrish. Who IN the Midwest is fast?

Edited by Guest

Thanks for all the replies. But now I am not sure. I thought the TKO 600 was the way to go. The tkos that blew up were they 600s or the older style? I have priced a complete Tremec 600 setup 1600.00 for the trans. Mcleod scattershield,aluminum flywheel,twin disk clutch throwout bearing long fork fluids etc and I am at 2900.00 I dont mind paying more if I really need to for a Jerico or Roltek but they arent they 4speeds Vs 5 speeds? They have a new 5 speed coming out but it is a lot more money.Like 7000.00 I think. That is out of my price range. Grizlbits and Kiethborton what would a complete setup with cost? With scattershield clutch etc.? I am not wanting to do this twice. Thanks again, Paul

The price for the bell/scattershield, flywheel and clutch really shouldn't be any different. The tranny's we blew up were the old TKO II's...however that was only with roughly 500 rwhp. With this years engine they wouldn't have lasted a lap, and I imagine even a 600 wouldn't stand a chance. If it were me I'd just do it right the first time....I guess really depends how much power you're looking at. We're just running the 4 speed....seeing how the 4 speeds and 5 speeds still have a 1:1 gear in 4th or 5th you're really not gaining anything. We top out anywhere from 155-185 depending on the rear end gearing. Also, with the gearing we run you can do close to 100 in 1st gear. If you have enough torque you really don't need a 5 speed...they just add weight.

From what I understand there are shifters available that fool the transmission and swap 3rd and 4th since it is a 1:1 ratio and then 3rd can be overdriven. I am not sure if this is true but worth looking into. Overdrive is really nice to have on big tracks unless you like changing rear gears to suit each track. Another option is to look into the g-force t-5 dog box conversion. I have no experience with it, but if it is as durable as they claim it would be a great solution.

HA! Yes $1600 is cheap. If you think you can run AIX and be competative and you think $1600 is expensive, you are going to get smoked in this class- at least in the Midwest region (where all the FAST AIX cars are).

Oh ok, so I should be fine in AI then. I mean hell, I'll only have 300hp or so and a TKO-600!

--chad

From what I understand there are shifters available that fool the transmission and swap 3rd and 4th since it is a 1:1 ratio and then 3rd can be overdriven. I am not sure if this is true but worth looking into. Overdrive is really nice to have on big tracks unless you like changing rear gears to suit each track. Another option is to look into the g-force t-5 dog box conversion. I have no experience with it, but if it is as durable as they claim it would be a great solution.

Yes, you are correct all you need to do is flip the arm for the 3-4 shift at the front of the case so it points up instead of down, and change the rod lengths some to fit the change - and change the ratio of course.

As far as the T-5 dog box goes, I was told to stick to the G-Force or Roltek. The actual box of the T-5 conversion is not as strong due to wall thicknesses, clearances needed to fit the shafts, gears, dog rings, etc. The gears and shafts are strong, but it is ultimately the strength of the case that keeps the gears from spreading from heat and stress. Spreading of the shaft distance makes the gears run on the edge of the tooth of the gear instead of the pitch of the tooth, and is the reason the gear box fails (sounding like a blender- been there done that). Again, probably fine UP TO 500 h.p., but not much more. The heat issue is also the reason the drag racers may get away with more h.p., then typically don't have the box expanding from heat from our 1/2 hour races.

Oh ok, so I should be fine in AI then. I mean hell, I'll only have 300hp or so and a TKO-600!

Big difference between 300 & 600 h.p., TKO-600 will handle 500h.p. or so.

Just remember, no gearbox made will handle axle "Hopping" under braking. This is the main cause for 75% of gearbox failures according to my tranny guy. You may get away with hopping it once or twice, but after that, you have a time bomb, you just keep shortening the fuse.

What transmission is that that you can swap 3rd as an overdrive? I guess you have to adjust your ratios on 1st 2nd and 4th accordingly.(As a 1,2,3 ratios Then use the 3rd as your overdrive.) Is that what you are saying? I am pretty much convinced now that a TKO600 will not hold up. I am leaning toward the Jerico with the with the G-Force a close second. What kind of clutch do you guys run with these? I dont know that much about the 7.25" multi disc stuff. I appreciate all the help. I will PM you guys later about the sources for the used ones. Thanks Paul

What transmission is that that you can swap 3rd as an overdrive? I guess you have to adjust your ratios on 1st 2nd and 4th accordingly.(As a 1,2,3 ratios Then use the 3rd as your overdrive.) Is that what you are saying?

Yes, I know for a fact you can do it with the Roltek & G-Force. I would assume the Jerico would do it also, since they are all basically the same design.

I use a Quartermaster 5.5 triple disc clutch. No slipping this baby, it's on or off, and takes a bit to get used to. I have run it for three years, zero problems. It has a big advantage with very low rotating mass, but it is hard to launch from a standstill. That is why I use a very low 1st gear ratio.

I had excellent results with the mcloed small diameter setup. It is 7.25 I believe. A total bolt in and go with no adjustment required. I highly recommend this unit. While not as light and small moment of inertia as a 5.5 it does allow the motor to rev quickly and also allows great standing starts.

scroll to bottom:

http://www.mcleodind.com/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=w3ezmenudriver&menuvalue=38&currmenuid=WMM&src1=/catalog_htm/2003cat.htm&w3hostname=MCLEOD

The top shelf would have to include Weissman, Hewland and Jerico. The first 2 likely fall outside the rules for AIX unless they have changed that now. Mere humans have a tough time absorbing the cost of $12000-30000 transmission. Yes some of them are less then that. A weissman is an impressive piece of gear. A 5 speed jerico probably comes close or a properly upgraded toploader. A lack of a 5th gear is a disadvantage on some tracks. They can be built to live up to the power and also shift very well. My bet is Tremec will continue to improve and someone is bound to start upgrading them to be reliable and shift well.