HPDE Passenger Clarification

PorscheH6

I have an HPDE event coming up on the 27th in Buttonwillow, and I had a question regarding section 4.6 of the Club Codes and Regulations. I'm currently 17 years old, and I want to bring a friend (A minor) along for the event. I'm signed up for HPDE 2, and it's clear that minors cannot be passengers, "...unless riding with an instructor..." Does this mean I can take my friend along as a passenger if I have an instructor in the car given he has all forms and releases of liability signed by his parents?

Also, does anyone have a copy of the minor release form? Thanks in advance.

The CCRs say ALL passengers must 18 or older. Participants under 18, such as yourself can only ride passenger if it is with an instructor driving. From my interpretation, your friend can't ride passenger.

Exactly. YOU cannot ride as a passenger unless it's an instructor that's doing the driving, AND the same rules apply to your friend. Since you're not an instructor, therefore, your friend cannot ride with you. Honestly, though, if you want your friend to get some hot laps in, most of the instructors are running in HPDE-3, HPDE-4, and TT, and it wouldn't be a stretch if you were to ask some of them (politely) if they would give your buddy some seat time. I take students (and volunteers) out as often as I'm asked. It's fun seeing the big grin when they get out of the car... Since your friend is a minor, though, don't be overly surprised if getting somebody to say "yes" is a little tougher. Be upfront about his age, and respect the decision if somebody doesn't want the potential liability.

Two years ago, NASA allowed a minor on the track at Roebling Road Raceway as a full-fledge beginner DE person. I don't know if they still have this policy, but if they do, why not invite your friend to take his or her very first DE. Imagine the smile on your friend's face after the first session!

Two years ago, NASA allowed a minor on the track at Roebling Road Raceway as a full-fledge beginner DE person. I don't know if they still have this policy, but if they do, why not invite your friend to take his or her very first DE. Imagine the smile on your friend's face after the first session!

Or a hyper drive, A little easier on the wallet if they have never been on track before, did it with my dad at VIR and sched worked out he took my car out as well.