First Timer at Buttonwillow on 27th

banderaz

Hello everyone, I'm new to NASA and I have just registered for my first HPDE event.

I was trying to pull out some information from NASA's website regarding the event I'm going to, but a lot of the links are temporary unavailable. I was hoping I could get some answers here.

1) I need a tech inspection check list and recommended items to bring with me.

2) I cannot find a schedule for the event I'm going to. What time should I show up, when is inspection / briefing etc... Could anyone post up a link please?

3) Anyone coming from San Jose / Bay Area? Maybe we could caravan together to make that 3 hours drive a bit more exciting?

Thank you in Advance!

Hello banderaz and welcome to NASA.

Here are brief highlights.

1) Show up by 7AM to get tech'd.

2) Driver's meeting by 7:45.

3) You'll be alternating on track and in the classroom throughout the day.

4) This is in no way an exhaustive tech form but the things that would keep you from passing tech include but are not limited to major leaks, absence of brake lights, bad wheel bearings, absence of seat belts, a significant instability like a badly worn suspension bushing or similar.

5) Bring lots of water and salty snacks -- you need to stay hydrated and keep the electrolyte balance for your and everybody else's safety. The brain can't make life and death decisions in 250 mS if it is sluggish from dehydration. Unless you're in a race car or a car that's marginally intact, you won't need a lot of tools. Bring layered clothing -- could be hot or cold.

Find me in the pits and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

God be with you.

Hello Baderaz;

We are coming from the Santa Cruz area. However we do not know what our plans are as of yet, so no idea about the caravanning.

We will defenitely see you there though! awesome that someone else from this area will be in the class- look for us in the matching mustangs! btw- what ru driving? I'm curious what others are taking to the class.

Also, they JUST posted the event schedule online- go to the register for events and under buttonwillow scroll down the page and there is a link now to view the schedule.

Also I forgot to ask: did u get any kind of letter or other information other then an emailed reciept for your reg.? we did not and i'm wondering if we should have.

Hello banderaz and welcome to NASA.

Here are brief highlights.

1) Show up by 7AM to get tech'd.

2) Driver's meeting by 7:45.

3) You'll be alternating on track and in the classroom throughout the day.

4) This is in no way an exhaustive tech form but the things that would keep you from passing tech include but are not limited to major leaks, absence of brake lights, bad wheel bearings, absence of seat belts, a significant instability like a badly worn suspension bushing or similar.

5) Bring lots of water and salty snacks -- you need to stay hydrated and keep the electrolyte balance for your and everybody else's safety. The brain can't make life and death decisions in 250 mS if it is sluggish from dehydration. Unless you're in a race car or a car that's marginally intact, you won't need a lot of tools. Bring layered clothing -- could be hot or cold.

Find me in the pits and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

God be with you.

Thank you for the info Aaron, I went to Buttonwillow last year with my bike and after learning on my mistakes I will definitely stack up on cooler, water and lots of ice. Heat out there is humiliating.

Do we have to drive with windows open or we can keep them closed and A/C on? I don't think that extra 5-10 horsepower it will steal for the car will really make a difference in HPDE-1, but at the same time it will keep occupants in much better shape.

Also I have my g/f and my buddy coming with me, I wonder can I take them for a spin or if not, can the instructor give them a ride around the track? If so, do we need to prepare any sort of release of liability paperwork for the visitors?

Hello Baderaz;

We are coming from the Santa Cruz area. However we do not know what our plans are as of yet, so no idea about the caravanning.

We will defenitely see you there though! awesome that someone else from this area will be in the class- look for us in the matching mustangs! btw- what ru driving? I'm curious what others are taking to the class.

Also, they JUST posted the event schedule online- go to the register for events and under buttonwillow scroll down the page and there is a link now to view the schedule.

Heya, I plan on leaving the area late, around 9pm'ish, shoot me a PM if you are doing the same and we could meet somewhere around Gilroy and caravan to Motel 6 together. I'm taking my new baby, MazdaSpeed3, in 3 months of owning it, its already been to Santa Cruz mountains at least 30 times and now its time to put it on track where it belongs.

Confirmation letter came in today, check your SPAM filters, if it did not arrive, please find a summary below:

"Thank you for joining us at the next SoCal NASA event at Buttonwillow Raceway. Please review the information contained in this link

http://socal.drivenasa.com/eventconfirmation09.pdf

Please stay and enjoy the Saturday BBQ and watch the start of the Endurance race.

Event Schedule

http://socal.drivenasa.com/Sched-BW-June09.pdf

SoCal Region News

http://socal.drivenasa.com

Regards,

Ryan Flaherty

Regional Director"

Hey, we will miss you ... but you certainly recall my own thoughts as I headed out to Willow Springs for my first time ever last year ... but you will enjoy the folks who do show up. If you continue, I am sure we will meet ... all the best, drive safely, and have fun!