When to switch to rain tires?

0x1

Hey guys -

I'm taking the Rex to laguna for HPDE on Tues. There may be a chance of rain, so it's got me thinking about tires. If the only 2 choices are mediocre street tires and your RA-1's, at what point do you switch? I'm wondering how bad the RA-1s are in the wet and at what point you'll actually get more grip out of a street tire. I don't have any real rain slicks and getting some is not an option since I'm leaving tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

PS - I was also thinking about using Rain-X on the windshield and planning on not using my wipers. Any experience w/ this would also be appreciated.

How much tread are on your RA-1's? If they are above 4/32" they will make a good intermediate rain tire. If they are less than that I would still go with them unless there is standing water in unavoidable places on the track.

Rain X is good for light rain but if it starts coming down hard you will need wipers.

How much tread are on your RA-1's? If they are above 4/32" they will make a good intermediate rain tire. If they are less than that I would still go with them unless there is standing water in unavoidable places on the track.

Rain X is good for light rain but if it starts coming down hard you will need wipers.

I second that. Unless there are puddles, or it's pouring, your RAs with tread are still better.

Cool. Thanks guys. My RA's are shaved to 4/32, but have only seen one track day, so they still have a little tread. I'll take the streets just in case, but I'd really rather stick w/ the RAs. Hopefully it won't be raining that hard if at all. As for the Rain-X, I think I'll give it a try and plan on using my wipers if it gets too heavy. My wipers are in baaaaaaad condition though. Guess I'd better pick up some of those on my way out of town.

Thanks again,

Scott