power steering pump for mustang

limp1969

Put the biggest pulley you can find on the pump to slow it down, extend the filler neck on the reservoir, and run the fluid through a decent oil cooler (the transmission cooler core on a radiator works well). That's about all you can do with a stock pump. If that doesn't work (but it should) you may need to go to an aftermarket race pump setup (Maximum Motorsports has a kit).

There is no cooler on it now. The pump sounds loud. i saw the MM set up. There is a company turn one steering. They sell a pump but you have to fab your own mount and find a pulley.

• Members

I found that the PS pump pulley off of a 94-99 v6 mustang is easily available at the local salvage yard - and it is larger than the v8 ones.

and definitely put a cooler on it - even if you just run a 3/8" steel line in front of the radiator to dissipate some of the heat.

Jim Pantas

http://www.WildHorsesRacing.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took the car to cal speed way. Had problems with power steering fluid spitting out on to the headers. I asked a few people and they said run the fluid a little lower, so I did. Zip tied a rag around the filler cap to stop the fluid from burning on the headers, by the 2nd to last run the rack was leaking so bad and the pump was wining that it melted the dip stick off. Took it out one last time and after 5 laps the steering was toast.

Looking to see what guys are running for racks and pumps?

I was looking at the MM set up ?

And a 03 cobra rack?

• 2 months later...

I use a completely stock oe mustang ps setup in my racer. regularly sees 6500rpm. I have a stock ps pulley but the key is I have a asp 50% underdrive crank pulley which makes the accessories turn 1/2 the speed and its been fine for years.

• 3 months later...