2005 IRS rule question

mwilson7

Can someone please tell me what an "upright" is when referred to in section 6.1D?

Does 6.1D also mean that you can't modify the center differential for cooling?

Does 6.1D also mean that you can't weld a bracket to the IRS cardle to mount a diff pump to? (if they are legal)

Does the IRS referral in 6.2 mean that ANY IRS that I can come up with is legal in AIX?

Can someone please tell me what an "upright" is when referred to in section 6.1D? ?
An upright is the part that houses the rear wheel bearings and stub axles. Something such as this:

5%20rear%20upright.jpg

The IRS unit in the 1999+ Cobra's do require Diff cooling, so I hope no rule is in place to limit that? The stock 8.8 Diff is alumininum and Steeda, MM, Griggs, Kenny Brown and others all told me if the car is raced, the stock Diff in the IRS will melt down. Therefore, I installed a KB diff cooler unit.

Andy

Not quite. It is what most people confuse as the spindle, but the 99-up Cobras do not use rear spindles. The hub is pressed into the rear bearing which is different than the fronts where a hub and bearing slide over a spindle.

None that I know of - I was just personally curious - is it going to be on the Cobra in '05?

PS. I might want to buy one -

when you do let me know i'll give you an X plan #

• Members
when you do let me know i'll give you an X plan #

Thanks, I am thinking about one, might be a collector's item someday

Right now I am concentrating on buying a turbo diesel dually

70's dually technology is only comfortable for short distances!

70F350df200.JPG

MArk, there are less than a handful of people that can answer the other questions. All of us here can make our best guesses to the intent of the rule, but that doesn't help the guy who does it then is made illegal. Why don't you email Ryan or John?

Gentlemen-

The picture Cosmo posted is indeed what we intended to be the "upright" for IRS purposes.

To answer Mark's questions, 6.1(d) does not prohibit either modification he mentions. We are cool with you cooling the diff.

As to the AIX question, knock yerselves out. You can indeed add any IRS rear system to the car within the other restraints of the rules. A specific example would be that it is kosher to add a Viper-spec Dana to a Fox body, so you can mix and match.

Hope that helps and we are more than happy to answer rules questions on this forum, so fire them away when they come up. Please give us some time to respond as we've got a working group in place now so that we can discuss items before we render a decision.

Thanks.

-JWL