Built my own Cool Shirt System

Teamfour

This was on my list of hairbrained ideas to tinker with, I guess great minds think alike! Thanks for the info. I'd read another help page about this where they made their own shirt, I wonder if it would pass tech not being fire-retardant material?

The F.A.S.T shirt is cotton. As long as it is worn under a 2 layer suit or single layer with underwear then it is legal.

the shirt itself is sold separatley if that was a concern - some people like to have two so they don't have to put on a stinky one for Sunday

Nice write-up, I've been thinking of possibly tinkering with this as well. Question for you- where did you get the pump? I was thinking of using an aquarium pump or something of that nature, but never really looked into it very seriously.

where did you get the pump? I was thinking of using an aquarium pump or something of that nature, but never really looked into it very seriously.

The pumps are bilge pumps, any marine supply store will have them and the under $20 version is fine.

Nice job to the OP on the writeup. From someone who has made two of these setups now, I'd add two recommendations...

1. Use some heat sleeve like the below on the hoses, not only will it keep the water cooler but it will keep the insulation from getting torn up and give it more of a store bought look - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-14015/

2. Put a Weather Pack plug on the wires. Don't get anything cheap from RadioShack or male/female spades, etc. The cheapest place for Weather Packs are from a seller "mjmnational" on eBay.

Yep, the pump is a bilge pump from Academy Sports. I bought the kind with a strainer. This way only the strainer is screwed down and the pump comes out for cleaning/maintenance.

Good idea on the heat sleeve. I will check it out.

I used spade connectors for the test because that is what was wired in the car. I plan on going with a weatherpack type plug with the receptacle part mounted in the center dash panel.

I bought a "donjoy" system off ebay for around $40... the fast coolshirts will plug right in, the donjoy AC adapter feeds 7V to the pump. It runs fine on 12V in my car. Running it at 7V just slows the pump a bit. Right now OG racing has the coolshirts on closeout for around $65 (or at least they did last week - check the closeout section). Cheap and easy, and it works very well....

example of the pump...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DONJOY-ICEMAN-1100-ORTHOPEDIC-COLD-THERAPY-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ250472597559QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a51548837&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shirt on sale...

http://ogracing.com/catalog/3-Closeouts/item-1836-FRESH-AIR-SYSTEMS-COOL-SHIRT-WAREHOUSE-CLOSEOUT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought a "donjoy" system off ebay for around $40... the fast coolshirts will plug right in, the donjoy AC adapter feeds 7V to the pump. It runs fine on 12V in my car. Running it at 7V just slows the pump a bit.

So, are you using an AC inverter, or did you hard wire it to 12V DC?

So, are you using an AC inverter, or did you hard wire it to 12V DC?

At first I bought one of the cig lighter adapter that was switchable for voltage.... I set it to 7V and the pump ran fine... then I tried 8,10, and 12V, and the pump just ran a bit faster with each increase in voltage. So I took the $28 adapter back to radio shack and hard wired the pump into a 12V switch on my dash... I was a lifesaver at VIR last week! After each session I'd get back to the paddock, turn off the car, and just sit in my seat for a while to cool off... It made wearing a SFI suit bearable....

Thanks for the idea, Ed. I didn't know these things existed. I searched Cold Therapy on e-bay, and found a similar unit from Innovation Sports with 20 min left, I got it for $10.

It comes with a big universal cool pad, maybe I'll use that behind my back on the highway.

Even if it doesn't pump enough for the cool shirt system I'll still use this rig at home for my aches and pains.