R888's future as our spec tire.

robbodleimages

Toyo Tires® Renews Longtime Sponsorship with NASA

August 11, 2009 7:48 AM — The National Auto Sport Association announces it is renewing its longtime partnership with Toyo Tires; extending its contract for an additional three years beginning January 1, 2010. As a part of this extension, all NASA spec tire classes will be going back to the Toyo Proxes RA1 as the required tire. This will become effective January 1, 2010 with a three-weekend grace period to allow the use of the previously allowed R888 tires. “This move was made in response to customer input, and we hope the racers will be pleased by this announcement. The RA1 has become a favorite amongst many NASA racers and has proven itself for speed, consistency, and longevity,“ said NASA’s National Chairman Ryan Flaherty.

NASA Competition Racing has a wide variety of road racing classes designed to welcome both entry level and seasoned racers who wish to compete wheel to wheel. Toyo Tires’ Proxes® RA1™ is an R-compound, street legal competition radial and is the spec tire for several classes in this exciting program.

“NASA and Toyo Tires have enjoyed a successful relationship for 14 years and we look forward to adding another three years to that run,” said Jerry Kunzman NASA's Executive Director. “In our opinion Toyo has always had the best interest of their customers in mind so it's great to see the relationship continue in this manner.”

“Toyo Tires is proud to continue our sponsorship of NASA road racing,” said Stan Chen, manager of events and motorsports, Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. “Our Proxes RA1 has long been popular with amateur and professional racers and is a great fit with this exciting series.”

Great for vehicles ranging from sport compacts to European and American muscle machines, the Proxes RA1 is cost-effective by delivering excellent wear and winning consistency on the track. NASA classes using the Proxes RA1 include: American Iron, Camaro-Mustang Challenge, Factory Five Challenge, Honda Challenge, Spec 3/Spec e30 (BMW), Spec Focus, Spec Miata, and 944-spec.

To learn more about the many driving opportunities provided by NASA, whether racing or high-performance training, log on to nasaproracing.com. To learn more about the full line of Proxes tires from Toyo Tires, log on to toyotires.com. Toyo Tires manufactures and distributes a complete line of replacement tires for high performance cars, luxury vehicles, light trucks and SUVs as well as tires for commercial trucks, buses and off-road and construction applications.

Let's hope this time around people get the message and avoid stocking up on a soon-to-be-obsolete tire and then bitch that they are stuck with tires they had plenty of time to use up.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• mcmmotorsports

• King Matt

• ST#97

I see no reason why anyone with R888's shouldnt be allowed to run them as long as they like. They are slower than the RA1 which why we are where we are. Honestly I am not sure how many people have R888's.

I am one of the few that I know that ever bought them.

I see no reason why anyone with R888's shouldnt be allowed to run them as long as they like. They are slower than the RA1 which why we are where we are. Honestly I am not sure how many people have R888's.

I am one of the few that I know that ever bought them.

Yeah. So Rob, how many of the 9 new sticker 888's in my basement (since late '08) would you like to buy? Get plenty, I hear they wear out fast in enduros.

I have two stickers/shaved that have not been mounted and four mounted with a few heat cycles on them.

I don't have another AI race scheduled for this season. So, I guess they will end up sold to a DE driver.

Good luck selling yours. Good to meet you at RA, BTW.

I see no reason why anyone with R888's shouldnt be allowed to run them as long as they like.

Now wait a minute, let me get this straight, first everyone complains about the R888 and wants the RA1 back, now that we got what we wanted, you want to complain about the transition period?

Come on now, we should be thankful we got our tire back. The only way a "spec" tire can be successful is if EVERYONE is on said tire. If we allowed people to remain on R888's for as long as they like, it would defeat the whole purpose of putting a class on one tire. The 3 week transition in 2010 is to allow most to finish up their stock (if they even have any 888's left by then) I say, finish up what you have of R888's in 2009, put 'em on your tow vehicle, wife's car, trailer, whatever just get rid of them already.

I think you miss my point. The reason people wanted to run RA1's this season and not the new R888 was the old tire was faster and the new tire sucked. Right?

Thats my point. I don't think you are going to have to force people to put the faster tire on their cars.

Thats right. I used it this year because I sold off my RA1's like I was supposed to. That didnt work out too well for me. Its fine. This entire season has been a bust and getting stuck with R888's and then having them stolen was only part of the fun.

Again, I think you miss my point. Nobody is going to want to run R888's. Nobody is going to complain about having to run Ra1's.

Again, I think you miss my point. Nobody is going to want to run R888's. Nobody is going to complain about having to run Ra1's.

Rob, they have to make it a specific time period otherwise I'd have a set of RA1s for the dry and a set of R888s for the rain if they let us run them indefinitely.

"I just haven't burned them up yet, but don't you worry, I'll let you know when I do!"

Lets just stop. If we are going to use Toyo, I would want to be on RA1's. I have no problem with the grace period. I was just trying to say that forcing an AI driver to give up his R888's is like forcing a kid to give up his peas for cake.

Clear yer cookies.

Bottom line is that we're back on the RA-1 for 2010. 888's can be used for the first three weekends in each region to burn them off and then back to the Old Faithfuls.

-JWL

Cookies are cleared!!!

We don't need 3 stikin' weekends in 2010. We have 4-5 days of Miller and then a 3 hour enduro on Sept 27th. We will have all of our cars back on RA1s by the time our last event of this year rolls around!!!

Good to meet you at RA, BTW.

I'm sure you met a lot of new people at RA, but I wasn't one of them. Nice meeting you last month at VIR though.

I helped you switch over to your AI decal package. Hope switching back went a lot smoother for you.

Ive got RA on the brain. I remembered that you are a MA driver and not at RA, but just typed incorrectly. BTW....you should budget for our August RA race next season. It would be good to have you there.

Cookies are cleared!!!

We don't need 3 stikin' weekends in 2010. We have 4-5 days of Miller and then a 3 hour enduro on Sept 27th. We will have all of our cars back on RA1s by the time our last event of this year rolls around!!!

HaHa,

I never had enough dough to buy any 888's.

Yea for RA1's.....

• 2 months later...

Received this from the best priced 17" RA1 retailer I could find:

> Unfortunately the RA1s you

> ordered are on nation wide backorder with no ETA from Toyo.

> The R888s in that size are readily available. I can switch

> your oder to the R888s at no additional charge if you would

> like.

>

> Otherwise, you can continue to

> wait for the RA1s or we can cancel your

> order.

>

hmmm . . .

Apparently the R888 will be "cheaper" next year due to the fact that they are being made stateside while the RA1's will be imported (that's the word I got from the "other" series). The import taxes pres Obama passed will be the killer for the RA1 in 2010.

Received this from the best priced 17" RA1 retailer I could find:

> Unfortunately the RA1s you

> ordered are on nation wide backorder with no ETA from Toyo.

> The R888s in that size are readily available. I can switch

> your oder to the R888s at no additional charge if you would

> like.

>

> Otherwise, you can continue to

> wait for the RA1s or we can cancel your

> order.

>

hmmm . . .

Hmmm? what size? we got em !!

Received this from the best priced 17" RA1 retailer I

hmmm . . .

>

275/40/17's....what else would it be in the American Iron section? and what are the date codes? 2007?

Rumors are boat arrives with fresh RA1's late november.....but rumors rule the world? LOL!!!

275/40/17's....what else would it be in the American Iron section? and what are the date codes? 2007?

don't some of you guys run 18s??!? Or was that gnashing of teeth over 14" rotors for nothing?

Everything is bigger in Texas!

Open extra big mouth and insert extra big foot. Yum Yum!

Received this from the best priced 17" RA1 retailer I

hmmm . . .

>

Rumors are boat arrives with fresh RA1's late november.....but rumors rule the world? LOL!!!

08's......and they are quickly being depleted as we speak.

Hmmm if you were a real AI guy you would know that your 2006 and 2007 National champ runs on 265/35R18.....

Don't count on those rumors, but you never know....and there will be more $$$$ attached to those tires on those boats too, you can count on that.