Need Help: Daily Driving Track Car

MrDomino

I'm sorry for posting this thread because its such an open ended question but I am in need of guidance. I don't expect someone to tell me what car to buy- I just need help narrowing down my options.

Basically I want to buy a newer daily driver (I'm 22 so it doesn't need to be really soft) that I can use for autocross and track days. I have around $8000 right now and would take out a loan for any additional money. I'd probably spend around $12,000 maximum (maybe a little more). I'm looking for a car that is good out of the box but can eventually be upgraded (already modded cars are okay too).

Also: must be FWD or 4WD (winters are not fun)

I've been considering a number of cars:

Acura RSX-S

Mini Cooper S

Subaru Impreza WRX

Volkwagen GTi

Toyota Celica GT-S

Dodge Neon SRT-4

Is there anything else I should consider?

I've also been toying around with the idea of an Evo but they're a little bit out of my price range (I'd love one though). The older ones can be found in the $15k range.

I really don't want a crap car because I've been dealing with endless maintenance issues on past vehicles and would like to start with something newer.

Please help!

Search the classifieds on this forum for your cars of interest. There are probably some there that qualify as DD, and are not full, unstreetable race cars. For the track, I recommned at least a roll bar, even with a hardtop (not required, but my personal rec - I'm doing a full cage in mine).

However, consider my plan - separate DD and track car. That way, if the track car breaks down (or worse), I still have a means of transport to work. With some luck, you could probably find an inexpensive version of each. That would also allow you to open up your criteria for a track car to rwd. Lots of inexpensive miatas, rx7s, mustangs, E30s, etc. out there.

Good luck.

Miata track car... ultimate budget racer. Then use the rest of the money for a decent truck... you'd be amazed what $8k will buy you. Then snag a trailer when you save up $2k more.

when its your second car its really nice to be able to fix things yourself at your leisure instead of having to scramble because you have nothing to drive to work on Monday otherwise

this is why you see alot of people in Miatas, E30s, etc - the important parts are stone cold reliable with proper care and feeding, the cars are very cheap so having one as a second car is no big deal for most people, etc

If you want something different as a drive-to-the-track car my '91 MR2 that I've podiumed with Nationally in Time Trials with, won many regional championships, etc might be for sale soon. It is still very much leaning towards a street car - full interior, ac, etc - but is still a very capable car as its track record indicates would leave you plenty of money left over to have something on your list to really be a DD instead of a DD/track car - I did that for a while, got away with it, wouldn't recommend it

Well I do have an E30 with rollcage and everything sitting in my driveway. The only problem is that in 12 days I'll be moving out to Illinois to start grad school. So I'm kind of limited to a single car.

I know the 2 car situation is ideal and thats what I've had for a while but right now its not possible.

edit: Also, I'm not going to do anything crazy with it on the track. I may progress up to HPDE 3 but I can't see myself getting any higher than that since I really won't have a ton of time to do track days.

limiting it to one car from that list its an easy choice - WRX

I agree, especially if you need to deal with poor road conditions. The 2.0L WRX's make nationally competitive SCCA STX cars.

FWD is for tricycles

FWD is not really any better in snow. At least in chicagoland. I would take a RWD with snow tires over FWD any day.

Me too...if that RWD happens to be a truck.

let me throw something out there.

the RX 8 2004 model can be had very close to your max. Its a great, smooth, forgiving track car. Just swap out your front brake pads, put track tires on and its ready. We have many members in the Ga RX 8 club that have thousands of track miles on theirs and they are also DD's. Been tracking mine since 2004.

The only thing you need to do is a very simple diy cooling mod for less than $200 and put some gauges in it..

Engines are also guaranteed to 100K or 8 yrs!

Not saying its the best choice or anything, but it has plenty of room, it is classified as a 4 door so insurance is less expensive, easy to learn with, solid performer and has a fanatical followers.

With snow tires many people do well in up north in the winter.

may want to consider?

olddragger

my buddy has a rsx-s that is his DD. He also runs track days and time attacks and stuff with it. 6-speed trans, k-series power and honda reliability/price is hard to beat. his job is a delivery boy for a restaurant so it has to drive nice in any weather, which varies a lot in chicagoland. Otherwise wrx's are the shit just make sure it has a good trans.

Regarding a RWD vehicle in the winter: If you've never tried real modern studless snow & ice tires - the ones with the mountain & snowflake emblem on them, such as Blizzaks - you won't believe what they can do. I live up a long, steep, twisty road in PA and I have some old Yoko Guardex snows on steel wheels for my Mercury Mystique LS. On smooth, refrozen glare ice I can punch it with the wheel turned and it just goes, no slip. Can't do that on wet pavement. I also own a 2500 Dodge 4x4 Cummins (lots of weight on the front wheels) with AT tires and until the snow gets up to the front bumper of the Merc, it'll drive circles around the Dodge in 4wd in the snow and especially on ice. The snows brake and turn just as well, something the 4wd doesn't help with at all. Nobody seems to make Load Range E studless snow tires for the Dodge though - I looked. That would be nice for our next 3'+ blizzard. Or being able to tow the trailer to the February VIR event.

Of course if you put real snows on a WRX you'll never need to give another thought to the weather.

Only one comment: an RSX will be a never-ending exercise in getting it to handle less crappy. I'd pick a lot of things over that.

Edit: Make that two comments. I've also heard from a few people (with the cars) that Celica GT-S's like to pop motors under hard use. Some kind of oiling issue.

That's the first I've heard of the issue, same engine as in the Lotus and they seem to do well on track (maybe the pan is different?)

Several of those would make good DD/HPDE cars and have been proven to be reliable if you take good care of them. Just take some spare pieces with you, you never seem to need the things you brought. It's that little part you left sitting on the shelf at home that ends up being needed

Brian

I'm going to be partial to the WRX for an all-around DD/autocross/track car that can also handle snow without a problem. They really are a great "swiss army knife" type of car; they can do anything. Plenty of upgradability, a very strong online and local community for help and advice, and not only can it handle the snow, it will make it FUN to drive in the snow.

PS: I grew up in upstate NY, and FWD is absolutely better than RWD in snow. Take a look at what you see on the road in the NE during winter, it's all FWD. You have the engine weight over the drive wheels, pulling instead of pushing. As a track car though, for my own personal taste I got tired of FWD handling.

Also, how about an E36 M3? Should be in your price range, and that's an absolutely great chassis. Tough motor also and plenty of support, but higher parts cost than a subie. You'll need wheels with snows for sure, but for the price that's a fast chassis.