Aluminum Jack - Anyone try these...

mbuskuhl

Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and Craftsman are not a consideration, have read too many bad reviews on these. I will NEVER buy a Torin/Big Red again, what a piece of junk and horrible customer service.

Anyone have experience with the ones below or is there a better one not mentioned here that doesn't require a NASCAR budget?

Nevada Jack/goracin.com - http://www.goracin.com/item.cfm?itemid=42151

OTC 1532 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OTC-1532-2-Ton-Aluminum-Racing-Jack-New-with-Warranty_W0QQitemZ190326691778QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Automotive_Tools?hash=item2c505ad7c2&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Jack Dannmar - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aluminum-Racing-Jack-Dannmar-DAN-2TJA_W0QQitemZ180382369741QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Automotive_Tools?hash=item29ffa087cd&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

TireRack - http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=67&PID=3196496&AID=10398365&

Only have to lift a sub 2200lb car, but want something that will last.

I'd also be interested. As of this week, I have my third dead AL jack sitting in the garage. The longest lasting one went for 3 years but I can't read the brand on it anymore. One lasted 15 months and another only 9 months.

I have been using what appears to be the same jack in your Tire Rack link for over two years. Recently the threads for the release valve stripped out not allowing the jack to lift, but after a quick repair she is going strong again. Mine was purchased at Costco for a little over $100 and is labeled as an Alcan model # ALJ2T

Costco for a little over $100 and is labeled as an Alcan model # ALJ2T

All I can find at Costco these days, at least from looking online is that junk Torin model. Sams Club had no aluminum jacks online, nor at the store I go to.

I think you meant Arcan, not Alcan. I called them, they discontinued production on the jack and there is no new model. They claimed they did manufacture it and it was not a private label. They told me they sold the last of the inventory to this place https://www.hagemeyerna.com/homemain.aspx but I can't find the jack online which means it's probably gone.

I have a call and email into goracin.com to find out the specs on theirs.

I bought one from Summit Racing, it's lasted 3+ years of hard labor, including jacking up the my full size dodge pickup and my wifes Volvo suv... In that same timeframe I've had 2 harbor freights blow seals and a Home Depot one break the crossbar...

I have been using what appears to be the same jack in your Tire Rack link for over two years. Recently the threads for the release valve stripped out not allowing the jack to lift, but after a quick repair she is going strong again. Mine was purchased at Costco for a little over $100 and is labeled as an Alcan model # ALJ2T

How'd you repair the threads? I've got one with the same problem but I haven't taken it apart yet. Thanks.

I just bought the OTC 1532 for these reasons...

Nevada Jack/goracin.com - did not answer phone or respond to my email inquiry

OTC 1532 - best warranty, local service center, $215 shipped, compare at $327 at Sears, 2 ton, ANSI PALD rated, etc.

Jack Dannmar - found little to no information

TireRack - just a private label jack, I want to buy from the manufacturer

• 1 year later...

OTC 1532 - best warranty, local service center, $215 shipped, compare at $327 at Sears, 2 ton, ANSI PALD rated, etc.

And I am a fool. The OTC started leaking this past weekend. It's only been used on a 2200lb car and infrequently, I'm not a shop. Lasted less than 1.5 years. Took it to the OTC factory authorized repair center today and they laughed about the warranty. They said seals aren't covered, I'd be looking at $150-$200 parts and labor to fix... if OTC even had the parts available. Like my last jack, this one is going in the dumpster.

Going to go with the disposable Harbor Freight one that's normally $169 and on sale for $99 all the time. I'll just plan on tossing them yearly.

its kinda narrow so hopefully you're always lifting on firm level surfaces and putting the car on jackstands as soon as its lifted.

Crazy is in the eye of the beholder

Crazy is in the eye of the beholder

5"-13" range is crazy, wouldn't fit under many race cars and certainly wouldn't get it to a height where you could comfortably work under the car. Racing jacks are around 3.5"-18" range.

Picked up the $169 HF for $99 last night. For $20 more it comes with a 2 year no questions asked REPLACEMENT warranty. Take it back and they give you a new one... and you can buy another 2 years for $20 on that jack. First extended warranty I have ever bought and will be worth every penny.

Ha ha whatever, I bought ten of them for $200! I have Rhino ramps for getting under there but will probably buy a bigger jack too. But, eh, its a tiny little Rx7 you could lift it with a rock and a 2x4.

And I am a fool. The OTC started leaking this past weekend. It's only been used on a 2200lb car and infrequently, I'm not a shop. Lasted less than 1.5 years. Took it to the OTC factory authorized repair center today and they laughed about the warranty. They said seals aren't covered, I'd be looking at $150-$200 parts and labor to fix... if OTC even had the parts available. Like my last jack, this one is going in the dumpster.

Going to go with the disposable Harbor Freight one that's normally $169 and on sale for $99 all the time. I'll just plan on tossing them yearly.

I'm with you, I think they light ones are disposable, been through a couple of them over the last 5 years. I need another one now...

I think I have that same one (mine is rebranded something else and is blue and silver but looks pretty similar...)except mine has LED lights on it that are on the lifting surface. They light up your jack point under the car....very useful! I think I paid $130

edit...this is the same as mine but mine is blue and silver not red:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950242000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00950242000P

We have been using the HF silver aluminum jack for years under some pretty harsh conditions, (our Monte Carlo's S/U and Silverado S/U truck are in the #3,000 to #3,450 range) and it keeps going strong.

Yes, jack stands are a must if you are going under ANY vehicle, I don't care if it is my 3.5 ton heavy as hell service jack, I've lost friends to suffocation from falling cars. Not a pretty way to go.

Ended up buying one of these low jacks from Summit. It just got here today, and boy is it big and heavy. More than I thought. I sure would like a smaller and lighter one, but this one does just fit; long and low enough to fit where I needed it. Hmm.

SummitJackSmall.jpg