Picking A Class To Get Started In

TheOrteganator

Hey guys, just looking for some advice on a racing class to get started in. I'm the CA Bay Area so the NASA Nor Cal region is where I'd be participating.

I've gotten a lot of experience in through karting and track days, but no true wheel-to-wheel experience. I know that I have good car control and driving skills but of course "good" isn't good enough in competition so I guess I'll find out soon truly how good I am. Long story short I basically now have a sponsor who is being very generous in helping me get started in racing. He hasn't set a budget or any specific requirements, but obviously being as low cost and easy to participate in as possible is the goal.

I've been leaning heavily towards Spec E30 because I like the cars, participation looks pretty good, and being one of the Spec series' the cost is probably reasonable as far as racing goes. I'm definitely not set on SE30 though and open to ideas. I know there are the non-spec classes that you can usually class any car into but I've been having trouble finding solid information on those. Can anyone provide some good info on those classes?

What suggestions and advice can you guys offer? Thanks!

SpecE30 is fun, I did my competition school and my first few races in one - great group of people too!

its tough to go too wrong with what class you want to get into, if you're stuck on wanting to race one particular car that doesn't have a Spec series then the Performance Touring series is the way to go... it can be a little complex, but think of it like trying to pick a bunch of items (modifications) from a menu (rulebook) while trying to stay under a budget (whichever points limit maxes you out for the class you might want to run in)

some of the other "multiple car" classes can also be fun and inexpensive (the lower end Honda Challenge classes, maybe the lower end GTS classes), but some can quickly get into $$$$$ to be at the pointy end of the field

<> CMC - Camaro Mustang Challenge <>

Spend some time at several events and walk through the pits. Talk to the different groups. Find a car and group of racers that seem to be your cup of tea.

Different strokes for different folks. Getting in the "wrong" car or "wrong" group just takes away from the fun.

For what it's worth, if I was going to build a car, I would build a spec E30. Good participation, solid cars and close racing with reasonable costs.

Building a car would not be my first option though, I would look around to see what complete sorted cars are available in the area, and then look to see where they fit to race.