Is this legal/safe (cage question)

DanSTi

The fabricator is finishing up my cage and he sent me these pictures to make sure the design is ok before finish welding. I've never seen a plinth box done like this so I'm wondering if this will pass tech and most importantly, be safe. I already sent them to the chief tech inspector for my region but haven't heard back yet. Any opinions?

image002.jpg

image001.jpg

Other than the curve, it's a fairly common way of doing it. The curve's just bling

I'd like to see the flat 1/8" extend out past the curved plynth on the forward side of the rocker (left side of the pic). I'd also like to see the curved plate placed a little further under the lateral bars base plate to support it.

Well, if it were my car, I would feel perfectly safe behind the wheel. I am sure the NASA tech guys will give that the thumbs up....but I am not a tech guy.

Other than the curve, it's a fairly common way of doing it. The curve's just bling

I'd like to see the flat 1/8" extend out past the curved plynth on the forward side of the rocker (left side of the pic). I'd also like to see the curved plate placed a little further under the lateral bars base plate to support it.

It looks like the shape of the floor pan limits how far forward that base plate can go. I will mention something about sliding the curved plate further inward. I heard back from my region's tech inspector and he gave it the OK so it looks like I'm good to go

It looks like the shape of the floor pan limits how far forward that base plate can go.

Only if the plate is flat; certainly nothing wrong with having the plate attached in multiple planes.

• 3 months later...

Actually it is a very good idea. Having a box with sharp edges to bite the ankle during a wreck can cause serious injury. I have done many that way for just that same reason. Our local tech's like it also.

Well I certainly got a chance to test it out. I had a brake failure at 150mph and wrecked the car in spectacular fashion. It rolled 3 times, clipping the top of the tire wall as it did a barrel roll over it and landed on the other side. The cage held up perfectly, not even a bent bar, and the car around it was completely demolished. Thumbs up for well built cages and proper safety equipment to go with it.

The NASA Mid-A guys have asked me not to post pictures or my in car video and I am going to respect their request. I do have some pre-wreck pictures of the cage though if you want to see them.

The NASA Mid-A guys have asked me not to post pictures or my in car video and I am going to respect their request. I do have some pre-wreck pictures of the cage though if you want to see them.

I did the same thing with a newly built cage & car. No injuries at all - like you said - thank God for good safety equipment. Sorry to hear about your car - it's a lot more precious than mine was, but still only a car. Any crash we can walk away from is a good one in the end.