Interesting Instructor Discussion at a Miata forum

davecarama

I haven't heard that that was a NASA event... some other local club instead

PDA = NASA-NE (since a little while before that event).

Just for clarification, post #4 in the video thread "the subie put his 2 left wheels off".

That was an Evo, not a subie. Of course a Subaru driver would not have done that .

A couple things I took from those threads:

1: I believe like someone said that autocross really should be the starting point before track days. Getting to know what your car does at it's limits is so important, and at autocrosse's lower speeds you can learn alot fast without wrecking your sh1t.

2: The guy who rags on autocrossers was right about a couple things; my steering, braking and shifting inputs were honestly "violent' (as he puts it) at my first track event due to autocrossing. Luckily, I had a good instructor who explained smooth = fast on the track and talked about it off-track. It still took a while to work that out.

I think the most important thing was that car control, knowing limits and seeing lines was already in place. The smoothness could be worked on.