wheel wobble!? -- technical advice needed (with video)

chuck hannah

so i've done 2 DE events with my E36 and i've had my hands full "working out the bugs" to say the least. i'm now having some nerve-racking wheel wobble and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or has had a similar problem...

i wanted you guys input on the wheel wobble at 6:30-40...she really starts to dance at 6:35, this was T12 at road atlanta and the only corner that i had the issue consistently

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

more info on what i'm working with: 94 318is, bravarian lowering springs on STOCK suspension/shocks, i thought the bushings in the front LCA were my original problem so i swapped to some powerflex offsets, also went to a sparco steering wheel...

i changed the springs on day 1, before any track time, i did one track day then did the bushings and steering wheel...the problem is either getting worse or the polyurethane bushings and smaller steering wheel amplified the original issue...or both?

-i've jacked to car up to check wheel bearings, balljoints, etc and cannot find any obvious signs or wear or failure.

-could this be a sway bar issue??

-can a blown strut cause anything like this??

-steering rack/box issue?

the wheel feels like its about to fall off, and the steering wheel becomes a wild animal fighting for freedom (aka- the steering wheel shakes all about too) but as soon as i get through the turn the wobble stops...and i remember to breathe again.

i get this problem every blue moon on the street (this is also my daily driver) but for the most part the car seems to drive fine around town.

also...if you get really bored and have good sound--anyone have any idea what this dreadful roar noise my car makes on the back stretch before the bridge could be? (ie @ 5:48 or 8:00 or the short one a 3:38)

sorry for the wordy post, just trying to give as much ammo to any who might have an ideas...any input is much appreciated!!!!!

Yikes - It looks like it's worst when the wheel is unloaded - you didn't say - we're assuming here that the wheel is balanced properly and the rim and tire are in good condition?

Assuming that and those other things you mentioned (balljoints, hubs and lower control arms) are good, (and typically they have different symptoms anyhow) then a blown shock seems like the most likely culprit to me. But it still looks like a bad wheel or tire to me.

Do you hear any odd noises inside the car? Car track straight? Nervousness on braking? Bolts on top of the strut in the engine bay tight?

That has got to be a bad strut IMHO. I don't know how to word what I think is wrong but I do feel that it is the strut itself and nothing will help until you replace the strut.

Could the seperate mystery groan be related to fuel tank venting?