HANS authenticity question

Cheap_Thrills

I don't want to spread rumors, but I heard on Sirius NASCAR channel today that there are reports of more counterfeit HANS devices turning up. I had heard about the post anchors issue, but don't know if there are actually entire units being faked.

If buying one used or on fee-bay, how do we know it is a real HANS? Is there a stamp, serial number, something to validate it's not some piece of junk that's going to get me hurt?

Maybe Mr Bennet can advise?

There is currently an issue with counterfeit HANS post anchors. We have not identified the source of them but an extremely large percentage are coming on new Impact helmet installations. They have markings from HANS, SFI and FIA, although neither of these groups have tested/certified them. I won't even get into things like trademark violations. That is for the higher ups to work out. We have some major concerns over how safe they are since we can't identify the source or if they have been tested. Because of these conerns, we have launched a free replacement program for anyone having these counterfeit anchors. Anyone concerned should check our website (hansdevice.com) and select the bottom button referencing counterfeit anchors. All the information is there.

To answer the other question, there were some fake HANS Devices out of South America on ebay a while back but we were able to correct that before any were actually sold. All HANS Devices have serial numbers. We can track where we shipped them to such as direct to a racer or to one of our dealers. Unless the dealer keeps track of the number, we don't know where it goes from there.

kbrew, just a little poke a fun here but why would anyone copy that?

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance