What are the Cons and Pros of having ABS

hevekli

I decided to have an ABS system on my car, after watching the BestMotoring JDM Super Car Battle. In my opinion It has a big advantage especially before entering corners.

What are your opinions Gentlemans.

You will not flat spot a tire, or drag an inside rear tire

like Andrie, it depends on the generation. I personally have mine intact. I rarely invoke ABS, but I here it work when I trail brake into a corner. I can modulate in and out of ABS without a problem. On some of the early ones you cant do that..

I give a :thumbup: to ABS

• Members

Booooo ABS. I had ABS installed on my Acura when I first started racing it and I hated it. The pedal goes crazy when the system would engage and I just don't like the idea of a computer taking over when I am trying to late break someone, it is to unpredictable. I like to be able to feel the edge of traction on my foot. Besides you can train yourself to be your own ABS.

Booooo ABS. I had ABS installed on my Acura when I first started racing it and I hated it. The pedal goes crazy when the system would engage and I just don't like the idea of a computer taking over when I am trying to late break someone, it is to unpredictable. I like to be able to feel the edge of traction on my foot. Besides you can train yourself to be your own ABS.

That is because your ABS is an older version.. try my car some time.. you can "feel the edge" in my car too.. just instead of locking up the inside rear tire and smoking, my car makes a few click sounds. unless I fully mess up, I don't notice its there...

Here is a good example, at thunderhill when I was side by side with another car going into turn 14 and was only given the 3/4 of a car with required I was still able to brake with NO issue.

There was plenty of room! In watching the video I was wondering how your car did so well in braking half on the pavement and off. I didn't realize you are still running ABS in your car. I'm sure it works great in rain conditions. That's an advantage over us. I'll have to make a mental note for next time.

:roll:

There was plenty of room! In watching the video I was wondering how your car did so well in braking half on the pavement and off. I didn't realize you are still running ABS in your car. I'm sure it works great in rain conditions. That's an advantage over us. I'll have to make a mental note for next time.

hahaha.. I was wondering if you would catch that.. haha..

I thought the ABS would help in the rain too, but I cant say i has..

then again, I'm a total wuss in the rain..

Depends on the ABS.

Example, the 4 channel ABS on the 98+ Integras and the 97 ITR is awesome for racing while the 3 channel in the 94-97s is junk.

Advatnages:

* Brake deeper w/o fear of lockup

* No rear wheel lock up durring trail braking

* never flat spot a tyre

* rain

rains the only real advantage i can think of, i have never honda with abs so i duno

Ok, I will give my opinion using different vehicles I have raced lately.... I ran a 00 Subaru 2.5 RS, a 03 Zo6, both with Carbotechs; a 03 EVO8 with Ferodo's, and a 00 Celica GTS with Hawks..... My thought on ABS is with Jimmy in that it works "ok" in the rain, however I hate it if you have good pads. Especially with the Zo6 and the EVO, everytime I went into a turn after the pads had heat in them, the ABS kicked in so bad that I had to fight with the car because it would push. The Celica and the Subaru were the best in the dry, however the Subaru freaked out when it got wet and everytime I touched the brake pedal, the ABS went bonkers. I did run a 00 ITR awhile back and it did perfect in the rain, however it only had Hawk HPS pads? So maybe if someone is debating the ABS question, they should consider the pads they wish to run? I even had to take the Carbotechs off of the Zo6 because the ABS would come on all the time to the point that I was getting uncontrolable axle hop!!!

Just my input........

• 1 month later...

In general ABS is superior to non-abs. It allows deeper braking with no risk of flat spoting.

However the big caveat is the effectivness of ABS on a track is directly linked to its software. There are a few "race" ABS systems that can be VERY good. There are also more than few stock ABS systems that are a hinderance at the track. I have no experience with Honda systems, but even in Porsche's ABS world some vintage/generations of systems work better than others. I don't know of any aftermart ABS tuning you can do, but figure that some could hack in to the code and upgrade the ABS protocals to be more track useful.

Rember most pro series that have ABS as an option do so only with some sort of penalty (100 lbs often) or every car of the type either MUST keep it or MUST remove it to level the playing field.