What's the dumbest thing you've ever done at the track?

Cobra4B

Once tried to load the car into the trailer without hooking it to the truck. Almost made it. Almost.

I have gotten away with this once, trailer tongue came up about 2 feet. Kept driving it up since it caught me off guard and surprising came down smoothly as the trailer jack foot touched down. Having a heavier open trailer though probably helped...freaked my spotter out though

Edited by Guest

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cobra4B

• kbrew8991

• sperkins

• brkntrxn

one time I almost went out to bed in brakes with barely snug lugs...

I borrowed one of scott's at Roebling, forgot to tell him about before he ran again

Once tried to load the car into the trailer without hooking it to the truck. Almost made it. Almost.

I have gotten away with this once, trailer tongue came up about 2 feet. Kept driving it up since it caught me off guard and surprising came down smoothly as the trailer jack foot touched down. Having a heavier open trailer though probably helped...freaked my spotter out though

yeah that either goes well or the trailer goes through the tailgate

I made it to grid last weekend and realized I hadn't bled the air out of the rear tires after the shop mounted them earlier in the week (you should hear my reaction on the video when it dawned on me). I hurried back to the paddock and found they were both over 50psi. That would have been an interesting session.

During my stock car days there was a carb and adapter plate rule change between seasons. The very fast front running motor we had did not seem to run good anymore after the rule change so I wrote a fat check for another new motor. Turns out it didn't run any better.

Long story short, they both became super fast AFTER finding out the throttle wasn't quite getting to open fully as there was a clearance issue with the adapter.

BTW - I too am a member of the trailer hitting the tailgate during loading club.

Rainy day at Infineon I decided to pit the car in the trailer after each session. With a couple of towels on the trailer floor I could get into my nice dry car with nice dry feet, feeling very smart. Only I'd locked the tow vehicle so when I backed out of the trailer, the burglar alarm went off. Had to get out in the pouring rain to turn it off.

• 3 months later...

I remember reading this thread. Unfortunately, this happened before I even made it to the track.

Backed the trailer into the driveway last night to head out for VIR today. Got distracted by some solicitor in our development while I was unhooking the trailer. Dropped the post up front, got it off the ball, and that was as far as I got before I got distracted.

I got back in the truck to drive it off. Oops. My driveway has a nice 1.5ft gouge in it now. I guess better done at home than at the track, right?

I got one better than that.

I had a new engine and trans installed and while they had the car I asked the guy's to go ahead and install the new brake kit I had gotten.Well in the mean time I had the top of the car,hood and new front bumper painted to go with the new lexan glass I had installed.Well they got everything finished on saturday before the first run at CMP.So on sunday I figured I would clean it up alittle,it had alot of crap all over it from being worked on from november to the time I picked it up that saturday.Well on monday I wanted to get home in time enough to take it around a country mile block to check everything out before going to the track for test and tune on friday.So I got home alittle later than I wanted to but I still beat the dark[car has no head lights]so I warmed the car up and easied the car out of the garage turned out of the driveway,tranny felt good got up to about 35mph and the freshly painted hood flew up to hit the freshly painted top of the car.Well as soon as that happened I new I was a dumba$$ because I had forgotten to put the new hoodpins in I had bought for the freshly painted hood!

So now I have another freshly painted hood and another wing that just happened to crack at cmp.The only good thing that came from this was a buddy at dent wizzard was able to get the dent's out of the top of the car where the hood came back so we don't have to fix any paint there.

Moral to the story is PUT YOUR DAMN HOODPINS IN!!!!!

Robert

With the freshly painted second hood

I had a new engine and trans installed and while they had the car I asked the guy's to go ahead and install the new brake kit I had gotten.Well in the mean time I had the top of the car,hood and new front bumper painted to go with the new lexan glass I had installed.Well they got everything finished on saturday before the first run at CMP.So on sunday I figured I would clean it up alittle,it had alot of crap all over it from being worked on from november to the time I picked it up that saturday.Well on monday I wanted to get home in time enough to take it around a country mile block to check everything out before going to the track for test and tune on friday.So I got home alittle later than I wanted to but I still beat the dark[car has no head lights]so I warmed the car up and easied the car out of the garage turned out of the driveway,tranny felt good got up to about 35mph and the freshly painted hood flew up to hit the freshly painted top of the car.Well as soon as that happened I new I was a dumba$$ because I had forgotten to put the new hoodpins in I had bought for the freshly painted hood!

So now I have another freshly painted hood and another wing that just happened to crack at cmp.The only good thing that came from this was a buddy at dent wizzard was able to get the dent's out of the top of the car where the hood came back so we don't have to fix any paint there.

Robert

Don't forget about going thru the kink sideways after you took the wing off!

John

Robert

Been there, in proxy

Kevin was getting in #18, his ex-cmc car, at vir

He was late to grid and I was buttoning up his hood and pins, and then he needed me to reach his HANS or helmet to him from the roof, as he was already strapped in.

This unfortunately divert me from hood pins duty, and this was realized at the end of the blend-line on his out lap.

His visibility suddenly went to 6".

I got him a new windshield that evening, and he was able to finish the DE on sunday.

Got him a new hood later in the month.

He handled it well on track, and once back in the paddock.

Is there a way to rig the ignition to hood pin insertion????

Doc

I joined the hood pin club while instructing at CMP. I frightened my student ride-along pretty good. Got video of it too:

Also got some video of the "repair":

• 1 month later...

Not at the track but at home packed and leaving for the track ... Got my spare key for the race car so I could load my luggage in the back of it (89 Civic hatch). Really proud of myself for remembering to do it. LOL!!!!

Got in the car and drove it on the trailer shut it off, climbed back out the hatch (my body is NOT meant to flex that way) loaded my gear and shut the hatch just as my lady said wait, I forgot my boots. No problem right? Got out my wallet and opened it for the key to open the hatch and found it right where I left it ON THE STINKING DASH!!!

Long story short I got a welding rod and fashioned a hook to reach the hatch release and felt suitably dumb, but heck, why not start the race year off with an adventure.

Hope everyone's exploits are as painless as my first "oops" was this year.

Happy Racing.

My latest dumb move was deciding to be a spectator at the Barber IndyCar race rather than working a corner as I had done for the 4 previous days of practice/qualifying/Grand Am races.

Being too cheap to pay two-fifty for a drink or six-fifty for a hot dog, I decided to carry some drinks and snacks in a backpack. Plus a camera and a scanner. That was the most work I've done at a track since I grabbed an extinguisher and waddled across the gravel trap from station 5 at Road Atlanta to the dip to respond to a 3-car crash that culminated in a grass/fuel fire.

If you can't afford to race, the second-best "seat" in the house remains a corner station. I'm just glad I didn't pay for the ticket.

• 3 weeks later...

wasn't at the track but after I got my car painted and trailered it home, I see my neighbor outside acting kinda shady. So I keep unstrapping the car, but my mind is on trying to figure out what my neighbor is doing. I get in the car and start backing up and the back of the car suddenly drops. I forgot to put the ramps on! Luckily it just landed on the subframe connectors. So I put a strap on the front so it wouldn't roll on me and just jacked up the rear end enough to put the ramps on. Could have been a lot worse but I just got lucky. That one won't happen again.

• 1 month later...

I had a Factory Five Challenge Car for a time. Once I made a hasty tire switch to rain tires. I did the driver's side, then the passenger side. I lowered the car just enough to torque the wheels but not to put all the weight on them. I must have gotten distracted because I went away and came back in a rush to get on the track. Started the car and tried to back out with the right side partially jacked up.

My car had a full cage. When I didn't feel like contorting myself out the side opening, I would stand straight up, hop up onto the roll hoop with my butt, swing my legs out and hop onto the ground. One time I put a little too much energy into swinging my legs out. I lost my balance and flopped on to the trunk on my back. I kind of did a reverse summersalt and landed on my feet behind the car. Of course there were plenty of people standing around to witness it.

Scott's probably still talking about that Mustang with no ST stickers.

Brian,

A little bird told me that maybe you have a new story for us after I left the track on Sunday.

-Kevin

Brian,

A little bird told me that maybe you have a new story for us after I left the track on Sunday.

-Kevin

Yeah my father suggested I leave my straps hooked to the D-rings and laying out on the trailer to make loading faster. Not seeing any issue with it I did it. Well winching the car up on the trailer I hear something odd... seems like it's dragging. I forgot about the straps and said fug it and kept going... then the car stopped and I realized what it was... the ratchet mechanisms were digging into the fiberglass floor pan and the car had wedged itself on them so tightly that the winch wouldn't pull it... well it probably would have, but it stopped it enough that I knew to stop pulling.

I haven't gotten around to fixing it, but it looks like it's not a big deal... will fill the gouges with epoxy if I need to otherwise I'll just use gorilla tape. Our floors have a balsa wood core and I didn't see any wood dust/chips on the trailer... only gray fiberglass so that's good.