2 drivers, 1 car

nazar

ok, how can this work?

I am asking because me and my roomate/friend purchased a new car for this next year track season

we got a 99 ACR neon thats all ready to go, we're just spec'ing out a roll cage and seat

We got 1 car cause its the only way we can afford a fully dedicated fun track car, so we split the costs on everything, we've always wanted to have a dedicated car instead of beating on our street cars, both turbo so its tough on them, and so we got a great car already setup

We both want to come up through hpde and eventually get our provisional license, and we just overall wanna get track time

We did just track days this 04 year but i like the nasa system better, its better organized, more professional and you can actually get something out of it, plus the fact that you can have an instructor is cool, we did this once at laguna seca and it was a blast

SO, can both of us come to each HPDE event and run?(together only after instructor sessions are over) like class2 or 3

Meaning like he drives 1 session, i ride shotgun, then switch, and so on

If so, how does this work when registering? Do we both pay the fee, or does it go by the car? I hope its b the car, lol, otherwise we both have to fork out about $200 each on average, the point is to do this together and also cut down costs(plus it seems fair as we will only get 1/2 the track time_)

So thats my question....thanks guy

Better wait for the official mahoffs to give their yey or ney.

I don't know if it's officially sactioned practice, but I've seen people do that at HPDE's. But you'd pay for two since you will be taking that much track time, related expenses, and insurance coverage.

My brother and I have done this, but not with NASA. We each registered for a different class, we each paid full price, we each got full track time, and the car got double track time. As long as you're in different run groups, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem. All that said, I'm not one of the officials.

i never thought about that, that makes sense then....different run groups could work...he also has more experience then me he has done instructed track days so maybe he can pass hpde class 1 and go to class 2, i can do class 1, and i guess we can still use 1 car, poor car, lol

anyways, a word from an official on both situations would be nice

thanks

One thing I'd like to point out is that you can ride on track as a passenger only with an instructor. With the exception of lunchtime touring laps (if your region offers them), but that's something else entirely.

One thing I'd like to point out is that you can ride on track as a passenger only with an instructor.

Oops, I missed that in the original post. In our case, we each had an instructor, and rode on track only with the instructor, not with each other.

• National Staff

In SoCal people have done it both ways...ie. run two separate run groups with the two drivers getting full track time, or with the drivers sharing the car alternating sessions in the same run group. Since you guys are trying to get your racing licenses, you need as much track time as you can get. So, it would be better to run in separate run groups and get full track time. The only problem is that we often have group 1 and 2 run together in the same session, which would make it impossible to do on your first few times out. Once one of you is eligible for HPDE 3, you guys could run 2 and 3 simultaneously, then 3 and 4 once you move up. Passengers are allowed in HPDE 4, but those privileges are revoked for the day if the driver has a spin or off-track incident with the passenger on-board.