Thanks to Nissan engineering....

obzezzed350

Well, we were measuring this weekend to install my sparco seat in the race car. Upon realizing that the head bolsters may be an issue, we noticed that a helmet (Bell Sport) will not go through the window frame. The door is so tall that there is no way I will be able to egress through the window with a helmet/hans on. I have heard from some that it is required that you be able to escape from the window in 15 seconds or something in full gear. but research of the CCRs and PT rules do not state this, unless I missed it. I plan on running a fire system for adding protection. Can this car still be issued log books?

Thanks

Joseph

At Mid-Ohio this August they were doing spot safety checks... comply or pay a $50 fine on the spot, plus have it fixed or lose your tech sticker. One of the checks was a 15 second egress. So it's for real... I haven't looked in the CCR to verify but they sure did this last month!

Can you install an inside door pull? Sounds like even if you cut down the head bolster so a helmet would fit you still wouldn't have enough width for the shoulders! Just add a step to your escape routine to open the door first...

Patrick

I still have interior door handles....I was looking at more of pinned against the driver side wall and had to get out. Im confident I could get over the shifter and out the passenger door in less than 15 seconds.

I had a similar issue when I tried using the 'wing' on my Kirkey seat. I still have the right side but had to remove the left so I could get my head between wing and the cage (mostly due to my height). I was actually thinking of upgrading my seat but might have to rethink that

since there's an issue, maybe you should talk to a nasa official instead of looking for opinions here ...

vpnwiz - the point is what happens after a crash if the door won't open, and there is a fire ...

So what does that mean in my situation where the helmet physically wont go through the window? Cut the roof and go targa?

• National Staff

Here is the rule in the NASA CCR:

16.2.2 Emergency Exit Time

The car must be setup to allow drivers to exit the car quickly in an emergency. Drivers

should be tested from time to time to ensure that they can meet the specified time for

exiting the car in the event of an emergency. The driver must demonstrate the ability to

exit their car within ten (10) seconds by opening the door (for cars with doors) or formula

/ sports racers; and within fifteen (15) seconds by way of the window opening for

sedans. Drivers must be wearing all of their required driver’s gear and be tightly belted

into the driver’s seat when the clock starts. Anyone that fails this test may be penalized

with penalties ranging from a warning to exclusion from participation until corrections are

made. Note- passing the Emergency Exit Time test does in no way guarantee anything,

as many different situations may present themselves in a real emergency. The test is an

exercise for the driver as well as functioning to demonstrate the ability to exit the vehicle.

Your car has doors, so you must meet the 10 second exit time. Also, your car is not a sedan, so would not require egress from the window.

I would not cut corners just to meet the letter of the CCRs - you very well may have to get out through the window for some reason so fix the problem correctly instead of using a technicality to get by

maybe a different H&N would fit your situation better? one that may not need the winged seat to be fully safe??

I would not cut corners just to meet the letter of the CCRs - you very well may have to get out through the window for some reason so fix the problem correctly instead of using a technicality to get by

maybe a different H&N would fit your situation better? one that may not need the winged seat to be fully safe??

Well I want the seat to have the head bolsters so that really seals up up the window opening. I am going to be installing a fire system and wear full underwear under my 3 layer suit.

Note, the biggest issue is that the helmet doesnt even clear the window opening, I could probably get through if I was on fire, but Im not going to potentially damage my helmet to practice it.

I could probably get through if I was on fire.

In a panic situation it is harder, not easier to do something so my answer is, if it is hard to do in a practice session, you would NOT be able to get out if you were on fire.

Im not going to potentially damage my helmet to practice it.

Wal-Mart, $79.99 buy a practice helmet. Better yet, I am sure there are thousands of helmets out there (full face even) that could be had for free if you ask.

I can see us now:

"Sure is a damn shame he burned himself to death because he didn't want to damage his helmet to practice getting out of his car."

Please tell me you were kidding?

I am sure we would all kick in $1.00 to buy you a practice helmet if need be, I know I would.

If I found myself in a situation where I couldnt get out the driver door, my plan is already to go out the passenger. When I say I could probably "compress" a helmet through the window, I doubt I could. As I said before, I tried it with my old motorcycle helmet and it wouldnt go through. My race helmet is a bit larger.

Pictures of the window/seat/helmet interaction? That seems crazy that a helmet wouldn't be able to fit out.

As Ken said, you might also have to compromise one safety aspect to have another one that functions at least a little, rather than not at all.