What happened with Austin ?

JerryW

Austin was unbeleivable!!!!!!!!! Just a year ago at age 13 he was figuring these cars out and in Friday's qualifying race the little sh_ t beat me!!!!! No respect for his elders. Austin is now a feirce competetive driver that is only going to get better with seat time, I just hope he remembers us little people when he makes it big time.

Nationals was humbling for many drivers, NO ROOM FOR ERROR!!! In the heat of battle, watching the cars in front, back and beside, seeing a yellow can be missed and the officials will go over all video's and excersize the ccr's ruling to the T. This happened more times in all classes through out the week than I have seen in all of my years in racing. Locally alot of stuff slides, but not at Nationals!!!!

Finished 5th before the penalty was imposed, Great Job Austin!!!!!

Yes they were very strict about passes under yellow and two others were send to the back for the same issue on Thursday's qualifying race. They were also very careful to review in car footage and various cameras around the track to confirm it in addition to corner worker reports to make the best effort to not make an error.

That is the thing about Nationals. Tech and race control are a MUCH greater level. Little things that might "get by" in regional do not pass at Nationals. Good news is there were no Tech issues, but a few driving issues that created some problems. I don't want to imply that driving was sub-par becuase it was not, but small infractions that might have been glossed over in regional only race were strictly complied with per the CCR's. Lesson learned for 2010.

Austin seriously impressed all of us with his driving. Unfortunately, he made a mistake and didn't see a yellow. That kind of thing has happened to the best. The penalty for passing under yellow had already been established before this race, so it would have been special treatment if he was not given the same penalty. It didn't look like it was easy for him, but John had to do what he had to do, so I have a lot of respect for his integrity.

I also got popped for passing under a standing yellow. I never saw it in turn 5. The track was clear in front of us. The traffic was tight. The yellow was for Venturini, who was stopped on the inside of turn 6!

I also got moved to the back of the pack because of it. I went from 33rd to 19th in 5 laps all for naught!

In our defense, the standing yellow was very hard to see in the heat of battle because:

1. The flag station was a ways off the course "line".

2. The corner stations have black numbers on a huge YELLOW background.

Yes , some other drivers saw the flag, but it depends on where you are in a tight pack of cars.

I told NASA officials that if there's a situation that warrants my attention for safety's sake, the yellow should never be just standing, but should be waved. The passing rules wouldn't change, we'd just have a better chance of seeing the yellow flag, which is what we all really want.