Seat mount question

AMorgan

Hey guys, I was looking to pick up a Sabelt seat and mounts here soon (looking at a Taurus). Sabelt offers two mounts, a steel version and an aluminum version. The steel one is FIA certified, the aluminum is not. My car is already pretty heavy, so I was tending to favor the aluminum, but was concerned it may not be legal for use in NASA. I looked through the rule book a bit, but didn't find the info I was looking for. Curious if anyone else has gone through something similar and can offer advice on this.

Also, even if the aluminum is legal, is there any reason I should consider the steel version over the aluminum as far as safety or rigidity is concerned?

I know aluminum is softer than steel, so in an accident it may bend when the steel may not. I would personally go for the steel just because of the FIA cert. If the aluminum was just as good i would assume it would carry the same certifications. Since it doesnt its either because they did not bother trying to get it or its not as strong.

I can tell you this, as a former circle track guy, I have NOT been happy with the FIA certification specs for seat mounting, with that said, go with the steel mounts.

Safety is not something to mess around with. If you are a good enough driver that you would benefit from the slight difference in weight between the two, then I bow down to you. But chances are, it won't make any difference. Not to mention the added weight is down low so it really won't hurt you too much, a flimsy seat mount could.

Great arguments guys. Only real reason I was considering the aluminum mounts was the old addage "mind the ounces and the pounds will come." I don't like to play around with safety so I'll go ahead and get the steel mounts, I can mind the ounces elsewhere in the car.

Great arguments guys. Only real reason I was considering the aluminum mounts was the old addage "mind the ounces and the pounds will come." I don't like to play around with safety so I'll go ahead and get the steel mounts, I can mind the ounces elsewhere in the car.

You wont regret it.

Indeed, the steels are about half the price of the aluminum ones. Now I just need to settle on what seat width I need. Wish there were more speed shops locally to try that kind of stuff out.

• 1 month later...

I have Cobra alloy seat mounts and i'm not pleased with them. The 35 ft-lb torque spec they give you for the M8 seat side mounting screws causes the soft alloy of the side mount to squish. You'd think that when they test their products as a system (Cobra seat + Cobra side mount) that they would see this and reconsider either the torque spec on the seat or use an alloy that is of greater hardness/strength?

There is a lot to consider before mounting the seat. Location of the mounts and how they are attached. Type of seat being used. What type of mounts are to be used. How heavy is the driver. Consider an impact, say a 5g which really isn't all that much and you just became 5 times heavier. Not so bad in a frontal except for the head and neck because the belts are holding you in place but if you slam into something backwards or sideways and use are running a FIA approved seat and are not using a seat back brace your mounts and seat are doing all the work.

When I mount a seat I always use Steel for the mounts. The weight is not an issue, the safety of the driver is. Having a 3 pound seat frame than is stronger and having it low is a plus!

When I mount a seat I always use Steel for the mounts. The weight is not an issue, the safety of the driver is. Having a 3 pound seat frame than is stronger and having it low is a plus!

exactly.gif