Dyno certification rule change

Lemming

Shall we adopt the proposed rule change?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Shall we adopt the proposed rule change?

• Yes
    • No

In section 5 of the current rules it states that "Competitors may use any brand of dyno for certification, but all compliance runs at events will be made on a Dynojet ..."

I believe that this rule should be changed and that all certifications must be based on a Dynojet as well. Under the current rules, one could use a mustang dyno, which produces lower HP numbers than a Dynojet to classify their car in a lower class. It is then necessary for a competitor to protest the individual in order to correct the issue in regions where dynos are never present at the track.

I've added a poll. For the sake of argument, I feel it could be of benefit to competitors that do not have a dynojet locally available, so long as they understand the consequences of using a non-dynojet model.

I've added a poll. For the sake of argument, I feel it could be of benefit to competitors that do not have a dynojet locally available, so long as they understand the consequences of using a non-dynojet model.

If that's the case, why even get a dyno, just let them estimate their HP

If someone does not have access to a dynojet, they can always race in GTSU as per the rules.

I'd like to see the rule changed to only allow the Dynojet with an exclusion for AWD cars. It would cause me to go a little further to get to a Dynojet dyno sheet.....but, I really like to avoid any doubt or wondering if someone is classed wrong or not.

Damon in STL

I vote NO. I need an AWD dyno for my car, and the Dynojet AWD dynos are few and far between, and those can be tough to get on, if at all.

The proposed rule already applies to AWD cars (see section 5.1), which states that the certification for AWD cars must be done on a dynojet, otherwise you are in GTSU.

If competitors are allowed to find a competitive advantage and chalk it up to convenience they will. To allow certified cars to choose the dyno that produces the lowest dyno numbers seems a little weak to me.

I vote NO. I need an AWD dyno for my car, and the Dynojet AWD dynos are few and far between, and those can be tough to get on, if at all.

The proposed rule already applies to AWD cars (see section 5.1), which states that the certification for AWD cars must be done on a dynojet, otherwise you are in GTSU.

You're right, so I request a change to allow alternate manufacturers. There are only around 3 AWD Dynojets around Chicago, and I couldn't get on any of them prior to our Putnam event the first weekend of October. So i am going to do my de-tuning on a Dyno Dynamics. So it looks like I'll be in GTSU.

I guess I can turn the boost up...

Don't some non-Dynojet brands allow numbers to be reported with "Dynojet" correction? I'm not sure but think that may be the case.

I agree that we should have a standard dyno brand but that might be an option for AWD cars if it exists.

Don't some non-Dynojet brands allow numbers to be reported with "Dynojet" correction? I'm not sure but think that may be the case.

I agree that we should have a standard dyno brand but that might be an option for AWD cars if it exists.

Yes, they do that at VIR but I would want to see the data showing how good the dyno actually predicts the dynojet results. As a scientist/researcher, I have spent quite a bit of time validating new biomedical instruments and I can tell you it takes many data points to come up with valid prediction equations.

I'm sure this is a headache for someone but what about competitors being required to show what type of dyno their numbers come from? Such that in locations where one might use a dyno that produces lower numbers, thus a lower class, a competitor at a given event would know this as would the director or GTS person in charge. Perhaps it would alleviate some suspicion as to proper classification of a given car.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Why not just go to claimed Hp and eliminate the need for an actual sheet.

Ed

I'm not sure that there are many stock engines in GTS.