Newbie to GTS....some help if possible

maponterios

Hello all;

I am making the jump into NASA racing. Finally. Cant wait to join you guys for the last event this yr, but looking forward to 2010. Im currently racing with BMW and SCCA.

I am trying to get all lined up for the NJMP race and would love some help. I currently race a 1998 M Roadster under Class iP with BMWCCA and class ITE with SCCA. First, i am not sure where i belong. What GT class...i hear it is based on weight and power? I guess here are a couple of questions i hope you guys can help me...

1. Do i need a pre-event inspection? Is the BMW yr one valid? Shop lists for MA (NASA certified if i need to do an inspection anyways)?

2. Dyno situation. Does it have to be a DynoJet? If yes, where in MA or New England?

3. I currently have a rookie license with NASA. Anything specific i need to do/prep for? Specific decals?

Thanks much guys. Again, looking forward to the event (if i can make it happen!)

Miguel Aponte-Rios

Welcome Miguel!

I suggest reading through the rules as the classing specifications are quite simple: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/GTS-Challenge.pdf.

1. If you do not have a current log book, you will need to get one. There should be a shop in your area that can conduct the inspection and issue a log book, or you should be able to coordinate for tech to do the inspection at the event. If you already have your log book, you will still need to complete the Race Tech form: http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/rules-forms/form_race_tech.pdf. Tech will take this form and sign off your log book at the event.

2. Per the rules, it does NOT have to be a dyno jet, but compliance, if done, will be performed on a dyno jet. Be aware that if you elect to use a non-Dynojet dyno that numbers represented may be different than those recorded on a Dynojet. It's your responsibility to assure classification compliance.

3. The CCR covers the rookie marking requirements: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf:

13.2.1 Rookie Marks

The driver must display the letter “R” (legibly) next to their car numbers on each side, and on the rear, of the car. The “R” on each side, and the rear shall be three inches (3”) high. The Rookie mark (“R”) must remain on the car for at least eight (8) races, and may only be removed with the permission of the Race Director (or appointee).

13.2.2 Rookie Plate

Drivers with less than eight (8) races must mark the rear of their vehicle with a bright orange mark. The mark must be clearly visible to other cars while on track and shall be at least forty eight (48) square inches. The Rookie plate may be removed with the approval of the Race Director after the driver has finished eight (8) races without significant incident.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Miguel,

I'm a newbie too. Joined NASA this spring and just completed my 3rd race (actually 4 races, but one didn't count as it wasn't long enough in time due to being red flagged. Looks like I won't get my Competition license until next spring now - bummer!)

About the closest shop to you is EFI Logistics in Bethel, CT. It's off of I-84 just past Waterbury, CT so depending on where you are, it may be a 2-hour drive. I got my GTS2 class BMW (formerly a BMWCCA race car) inspected there and got my logbook too. Although I understand you can also take care of all of this at the track event you go to, you really need to make sure you have everything in order. Like one of the replies to your post said, read the CCR and know what the safety requirements, etc. are. For my peace of mind, I chose to take the car to EFI and have the tech. inspection done there well ahead of my first event. As it turned out, I did have to resolve a few minor issues, and those issues could have prevented me from racing if I had waited until the day of the event to have the car tech'd. So I'd recommend having the car tech'd ahead of the NJMS event.

By the way, where in MA are you. I'm near Worcester, MA. If you need any help with this (from the perspective of a relative new-comer to NASA) let me kow.

Wayne