Fuel Leaking

Spec944 #143

My car has develop a fuel leak inthe cap area. I remember reading somewhere that this is a filler neck issue and it will need to be replaced.

The fuel leaks out at the cap area and down the side of the car. does this seem to be a filler neck issue, not I have a new gas cap and it did not stop it.

How hard is it to replace the filler neck- my car is an early '83.

any tips are appreciated

Todd, in your case, it cannot be corrected and you should park that car and get another, much slower car. I am sure that will solve your problem.

Other than that, I don't have any idea.

Big Dog

The filler neck is just under the cover and is accessed from inside the car. Simple and straight forward really. Some bolts and some hose clamps.

I know you probably checked this already, but I had the same problem and it was the gas cap. You might want to check that before jumping on the filler neck.

the gas cap is new and I had heard there was a check value type of mechanism in the filler tube which should prevent the gas from even getting to the gas cap?

There is a flapper valve at the bottom of the neck that is supposed to close when gas tries to go into the neck.

That is what came apart in Joe's car and dumped parts into the tank that later caused problems.

Again, I think you should just part that rocket ship of yours.

Big Dog

the gas cap is new and I had heard there was a check value type of mechanism in the filler tube which should prevent the gas from even getting to the gas cap?

Had the same issue with mine. The filler neck opening the gas cap threads into was egg shaped at the 6 o'clock position.

I switched it out with one in better shape, and replaced my gas cap with a factory Porsche part. Problem solved.

I have an early '83 944 and had the same problem...in fact you could see how over time before I bought the car how the gas leaked out and ruined the paint. Mine wound up being the filler nozzle top was ovalized - like someone filling the car with gas leaned too heavily while filling the car bending the bottom part of the fuel filler opening where the gas cap would no longer seal it. I bent it back and replaced the fuel cap (as the rubber seals were cracked) and it no longer leaks but I still get some fuel vapors in the car b/c I need to delete most of the old cracking emissions hoses.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't all 944s leak a little gas out the cap if the tank is full? I know mine always does. I have the gas 'stain' on my lower rear quarter panel any time I fill the tank.

Don't all 944s leak a little gas out the cap if the tank is full? I know mine always does. I have the gas 'stain' on my lower rear quarter panel any time I fill the tank.

Many do, but the they are not supposed to. Mine does not.

We have this problem frequently in California because of the heavy gas fume capturing gas nozzles. The aluminum filler neck gets pressed out of shape at the bottom because of the weight of the nozzle over several decades. Just take a pair of pliars and make it round again and the fuel cap should make a good seal again. Make sure that the fuel cap has a good rubber seal. The tank should never leak.