RULE CLARIFICATION

RACER-X

Since I'm in the process of building I've been going over the rules and see a need for clarification. As it reads now, it sounds like we may only use OEM Porsche rotors, calipers, master cylinders and hard lines. Rotors can only be drilled or slotted but not both. If this is the case then they read fine but I thought we could use aftermarket replacement parts of exact OEM equivilant?

15 The brake system must remain stock including calipers, rotors and cylinders except as noted.ABS must be disabled even if installed by the factory.

15.7 Brake Rotors

Only stock rotors are permitted. Cross drilling or gas slotting of the rotors is allowed.

It should say.....15 The brake system must remain OEM or EXACT OEM equivilant, including calipers, rotors, master cylinders and hard lines, except as noted. ABS must be disabled even if installed by the factory.

and then 15.7 could say

15.7 Cross drilling and/or gas slotting of the rotors is allowed.

Thoughts???

No issues. The intent was never to allow only Porsche sourced rotors, but to keep it to stock or stock equivalent rotors. Drilled/slotted or both was always ok. We can change the wording to reflect that.

No issues. The intent was never to allow only Porsche sourced rotors, but to keep it to stock or stock equivalent rotors. Drilled/slotted or both was always ok. We can change the wording to reflect that.

I thought so but just needed clarification.

Thanks!

Thoughts?..............yea, that chic needs to lose the top.

I have a few more for ya. Click and save.

fwlraa.gif357fuqx.gif2s0ep15.gif

I'm all for "OE" or "OE equivalent", but I would hesitate to use "OEM" in the rules...

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer (Porsche, Audi/VW, Bosch, Mahle, etc.)

OE = Original Equipment (stock parts that came on our 944's)

I'm all for "OE" or "OE equivalent", but I would hesitate to use "OEM" in the rules...

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer (Porsche, Audi/VW, Bosch, Mahle, etc.)

OE = Original Equipment (stock parts that came on our 944's)

AH, Well said.

It should say.....15 The brake system must remain OE or EXACT OE equivilant, including calipers, rotors, master cylinder and hard lines, except as noted. ABS must be disabled even if installed by the factory.

and then 15.7 could say

15.7 Cross drilling and/or gas slotting of the rotors is allowed.

I guess I am not sure what I have. I order rotors from one of parts places (don't remember which one) that they say are for my year (late) 944. I don't check any further than that.

Joe, as long as they are steel and fit the 944, are they OK or are there some out there that may not be legal? If there are, I need to know how to identify them so I make sure and buy them. (assuming they must be better if they are not legal )

Also, why would we care about the hard lines?

Would any rebuilt kit for the master and calipers be OK? I have purchased rebuilt calipers from Paragon (or someone) to put on to replace the ones that came on the car that I did not know the history of so I have just assumed they were fine.

My, this all seems to be getting very technical.

Big Dog

Jim,

Your stuff is fine. Brakes must be stock and rotors can be drilled/slotted or both. When I say stock I mean stock specs. So aftermarket parts are fine if they are stock replacement parts.

The rules just need to make that clear.

Might be best to define "stock" as a general header in the rules. "stock" = original part as delivered from the factory or any part designed as a direct replacement equivalent to an original part. Replacment parts may come from any supplier.

Also, why would we care about the hard lines? My, this all seems to be getting very technical. Big Dog

Let's say you were changing one of your braided SS lines and you bent and kinked the hard line it attaches to. What would you do?? Go to the Porsche dealer and buy one? Buy an aftermarket one? Go to the auto parts store and buy a length of straight line and bend it yourself? What do the rules say you can do?

15 The brake system must remain stock including calipers, rotors and cylinders except as noted.ABS must be disabled even if installed by the factory.

What does stock mean? Does it mean that it must be an OEM Porsche part or are aftermarket parts OK as long as it is the EXACT same or equivalent as the part that came on the car when new from the factory? In this case, stock means OE or EXACT equivalent aftermarket parts are OK to use for the calipers, rotors, master cylinder and hard lines. I believe that the rules should be worded to reflect this. Not complicated at all.

Stock means stock. I however has never meant you can repair things back to the way it was. Since 2002 we have run this class and stock has always meant the samething. The idea of only getting "Porsche" branded replacement was crazy back then and is crazy now.

Never before has it been a major issue. However every year as the series grows we find more thing that have always been "understood" to be no so understood. That is why in 2009 we had a big re-write to cover those practices. See all the red stuff in the rules... That was my attempt to be more specific. I think we got most of the way there, but there still some holes.

No need to get in a tizzy about it really.

No need to get in a tizzy about it really.

I'm not. Sorry if I came off that way.

To me Stock means OEM parts and I agree that would be crazy $$$$!! I just wanted clairfication that it meant aftermarket parts were OK as long as they are EXACT replacement parts. I understand about the fine-tunning on the rules, hence my original post. Remember, I'm new to Spec 944 and just getting started. I plan on being here for awhile. I want to be sure and want to avoid costly mistakes.

Welcome Racer X. All new racers are welcome, heck they even let me in

When in doubt, contact Joe or post here.

Lots of good info floating around these places.

Thanks, Joe. I guess I can unwind my shorts and redo my tizzy.

I, like everyone else, don't want to be a damn cheater like those guys that come over here from POC.

Big Dog