Cockpit adjustable engine management systems

EdNewman

Cockpit adjustable engine management systems

All adjustable engine management systems must be declared on the Dynamometer Certification Form. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of all timed sessions for the weekend. Adjustable engine management systems include but are not limited to systems such as MoTec and MegaSquirt that can upload and download from external computers, potentiometers, diodes, and switches that can alter signals from engine sensors and other factory installed devices such as traction control that change engine performance when non-drive wheels are stationary.

As every Porsche made in recent times (99Xs) use a Motronic system which can be flashed from a laptop, do we all not technically fall under this rule?

Will the stock ECU allow you to adjust specific parameters (e.g. advance timing), or do you have to flash the stock ECU with something like APR software to be able to make singular adjustments like that?

I have the revo software. I think they all are the same way where you need to use the laptop to change the parameters. The rules does include "download from external computers"

The revo software/flash ecu, is done vehicle stopped. Very unlikely it will be used like say a Motec system where different maps may be used easily and accessed knowing what HP difference it would make. You can declare it if you wish, but highly unlikely you or anyone would change it. Is your car a GT3 or Street version 996/997?

Sergio, SoCal GTS

Ed,

Better safe than sorry on this one.

The idea here is that if you can change the HP from inside the car (Say while driving or on the dyno) you better document it. If it's found you could, and you didn't declare it, you'd be DQ'd.

I'm declaring it, not so much the issue, just starting an open conversation about this. Technically, any Motronic system can be flashed by an "external computer" even if it is currently running a stock map. Maybe we should contemplate a rule change next year to more clearly identify what we need to declare and what does not matter.

What about aftermarket ECU reflashes that allow you to change maps via the OEM controls (i.e. the cruise control stalk)?

My APR chip allows me to swap maps (octane levels) with the cruise control stalk but the engine has to be off. Should that be declared?

Absolutely.

I always declared my APR software, and now I declare my GIAC software. Most reflashes, even if they don't have a feature for switching ECU maps either through a cockpit switch or a remote switch (REVO), still allow for individual parameter setting that a stock ECU won't allow for.

Yes.

Bottom line guys is: If you can do ANYTHING from inside the cockpit to change the HP or characteristics of the engine you need to declare it.