Enduro Tire Reccomendations

Sterling Doc

Planning on the 9 hour enduro at Road Atlanta in December. I have a choice of 15 or 16" rims for enduro purposes.

Since my beloved RA-1 is on National backorder in both the 225/50/15, and 245/45/16 sizes, I've been evaluating my options:

R-888 in the same sizes (practical choice, but not my favorite tire)

Nitto NT-01 in a 225/45/15 (not sure the 245/50/16 will fit?)

BFG R-1 in a 245/45/16 (tempting, but will it make the distance?)

As the track is not very abrasive, and it's a lot of tire on a light car in cool conditions, I'm tempted to gamble on he R-1's. They have a reputation for better longetivity then the Hoosiers. 'Course if it rains, we'll have to ahve a back-up (not so with the R-888)

Am I crazy?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't you have to run the spec tire of your class? Unless you change and run ES? I believe the rules for endurance racing is that you must comply with the class that you conform to. We ran a FFR spec cobra and have to continue to follow those rules while running in EO.

Richard

Don't you have to run the spec tire of your class? Unless you change and run ES? I believe the rules for endurance racing is that you must comply with the class that you conform to. We ran a FFR spec cobra and have to continue to follow those rules while running in EO.

Richard

you just have to make sure you're legal for a different class that still folds into E_ . In Erik's case he could use Performance Touring rules and use whatever he wants equipment-wise, so long as he doesn't go over the points limits for whatever PT classes fold into E2

for your FFR Cobra I would look at using the Super Toruing rules if they still fold into E0

Enduro rules specify that you can use whatever DOT tire you like on the class legal rim. For me, I will be running under GTS-1 rules which are strictly power to weight, so I have unlimmited tire/wheel options for this race.

Since 944 Spec, Cup, GTS-1, and PT can all make to E2, we have a huge range of options, the least restrictive of which is GTS-1. One of the benefits of running a 944 (that and the 21 gal gas tank )

Planning on the 9 hour enduro at Road Atlanta in December. I have a choice of 15 or 16" rims for enduro purposes.

Since my beloved RA-1 is on National backorder in both the 225/50/15, and 245/45/16 sizes, I've been evaluating my options:

R-888 in the same sizes (practical choice, but not my favorite tire)

Nitto NT-01 in a 225/45/15 (not sure the 245/50/16 will fit?)

BFG R-1 in a 245/45/16 (tempting, but will it make the distance?)

As the track is not very abrasive, and it's a lot of tire on a light car in cool conditions, I'm tempted to gamble on he R-1's. They have a reputation for better longetivity then the Hoosiers. 'Course if it rains, we'll have to ahve a back-up (not so with the R-888)

Am I crazy?

1 - set of R1's won't last....well let's say they won't have much grip somewhere after 1/2 way.......remember enduro's are about consistency....and being there at the end...and like you said if it rains the R888 is ready to go in most cases.

As a hedge against being crazy, did get a back up set of R-1's mounted, and have a set of 15" R-888's for rain. Now that we can change 4 tires in the pits, risking a tire change is not such a big deal.

the 225-45-15 ra1 we ran last year on out 2450# 165 fwhp e1 car made it through the race. The lf tire was a little out of round, very near cord, and we were out of the running for an hour with a wiring problem. If I was to do it again I would plan on a tire change for at least that corner.