What's the BEST Clutch for 944 Spec Racing?

Litespeeds

OK fellas. Here is the deal. I have an 1988 944 that had a clutch job done about 4K miles ago with a Sachs and I drove the car both around town and also at track events. I just started racing the car this weekend and on the 2nd day, did not finish the race due to a clutch problem where my pedal went all the way down and didn't come up and I couldn't shift into any gear. Had the master and slave checked out and everything works fine. My mechanic just took the clutch apart and found out the the clutch disc sheared apart completely. This is not an isolated incident because one of the other racers, Jerry, had the exact same problem on Saturday.

Both clutches were Sachs so I don't want to replace with the same clutch fearing that within a year or two, the same thing might happen. Can I buy a Centerforce or some other type of clutch that is stronger for my race car and still be legal? Please let me know asap because I need to get this done by next weekend. Thanks.

Sidney

I got 5 years from my sachs clutch before it broke in the center. (Metal attachment from center to friction ring failed). Wear was minimal on the friction surface.

clutch1.jpg

clutch2.jpg

clutch3.jpg

clutch4.jpg

I put a new sachs back in (disk only) and did not worry about it.

Rules alllow any clutch disk that fits without modifications. Pressure plate needs to be same size and weight. You can probably just use the same pressure plate. I did that when my disk failed. So I have 6 full seasons on my pressure plate and is in great shape.

If you are having clutch problems it could be due to shifting technique rather than problem with the clutch. If you don't rev match well on the down shifts you will put more load in the clutch and increse the chances of failures.

Does that mean I can not replace my clutch with a Centerforce or Spec afterrmarket clutch? Please explain. Thanks.

What that means is that you can use the Centerforce disk, as long as it fits, but unless the pressure plate is the exact dimensions and weight as OEM you cannot use it. Same goes for the SPEC aftermarket clutch. Being that others have not commented yet on similar issues with oem replacements, you situation might be related to something else.

I need to order a clutch disc ASAP in order to finish my car by next weekend. From what I gather, I can not use any aftermarket clutch kits so I have to stick with the OEM Sachs pressure plate but can use any aftermarket disc. There is not many aftermarket discs available so I am going to buy this one from 944online: http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Store.cgi?Product+skukey_20054089+9442+clutch-9442

If you look at the disc and look at the Sachs on the right of it, you can see that this is a much beefier construction. It is am OEM replacement.

You may use any disk that fits and any pressure plate that bolts on to the flywheel. However the weight of the pressure plate must be the same as stock. Remember these plates are heavy and act just like the flywheels. We don't allow light flywheels and super light pressure plate would act just like a light weight flywheel.

Now most aftermarket "performance" pressures plates have greater clamping force. Well clamping force is not an issue on these cars. We don't have enough power to have them slip. If you want a stronger disk that is fine. Heck you can go with a 3 puck disk if you want. You can change the pressure plate, but its weight must not change. The reason for this again is not to limit clutch performance, but to keep the same rotating mass in the engines.

I don't know what the weight of the centerforce is, but it cannot be lighter than stock and still be legal. If it just bolts up and is the same weight as stock you are allowed to use it.

http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=P911626&dept%5Fid=5081#tab_a

This one looks very nice and I probably should have bought this one if I had known about it. I read or heard somewhere that this is manufactured by Sachs for Centerforce. If they use the same frame design and just put a new friction material on, then this can break apart like other Sachs.

P911626.jpg

Here is the one that I bought pictured below showing the front and back.

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Store.cgi?Product+skukey_20054089+9442+clutch-9442

944aftclutch.gif

944aftclutch_01.gif

Here is a picture of the Sachs clutch disc.

sprungclutch.gif

Edited by Guest

I want a drag race clutch so I can start drag racing my 944. How about all you other guys, anyone else want to quit road racing and go drag racing with our 4 cylinder cars?????

Big Dog

I cancelled my order with 944online and placed an order for this one:

http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php?productid=17956&cat=373&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I talked to someone at Clutchnet and told him my application which is road racing and he recommended that I get this one since I don't drive my car on the street. I can still use my stock pressure plate with this disc. Guess I will be the guinne pig.

The guys at Clutchnet is at SEMA this week and nobody is at the shop so my order is supposed to be processed on Friday. I told the guy that I am racing this weekend and need the disc by or before Thursday. I paid for 2nd day air shipping and he told me that someone will come in tomorrow to make my clutch disc and then they will ship it out next day air free of charge. Now this is the kind of company that I like to do business with.

Yes Jim, I will take you on for drag racing our 944's. At least this way I have a chance at beating you.

I am in the same boat... need a new clutch as I can't shift the car right now, even with good master and slave. We've had a bunch of clutch disk failures up here in the PNW this year using the Sachs unit.

That clutchnet stuff looks good. My question is what would be the difference between the sprung hub version you linked above and the identical clutch but with a solid hub? Solid hub is actually cheaper and I am after durability. Would the solid hub just be more grabby?

Installed the Clutchnet 6 puck spring disc and overall it is great except for the initial engagement starting off in 1st gear. I can not take off smoothly no matter what rpm I am using. Car shutters quite a bit. Guess that's the negative thing about a race clutch.

I think this is a perfect clutch disc if you are planning on using it mainly for road racing. If you plan on driving the car on the streets, then I would recommend a different clutch disc.