Qualifying and Race position

Litespeeds

Just curious as to what everyone has to say about this subject. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Race starting positions are determined through qualifying times. If you and a friend switched cars during qualifying and the friend is a better driver and qualifies your car in the 2nd row while you drive your friends car and qualify in the 3rd row, what is the right thing to do?

a) Both start at the very end?

b) Both driver's should start their own car's where they qualified at?

c) Thank your friend and start at where he qualified you at?

d) Other?

I just want to know what the rules are in regarding to this subject matter. Normally I wouldn't care but this does influence the points for the overall season finish.

Edited by Guest

The CCR seems to cover this pretty specifically:

20.2.4 Teammates and Vehicle Substitutions

The same driver or his/her legal teammate must qualify the car to be raced. A driver may change cars after qualifying, however he/she must start in the back of his/her class. The Race Director must approve any car change, before the start of the race. The Race Director reserves the right to refuse to allow an entrant to race a car of a different class, if the change of cars could be an advantage over other competitors.

Yeah, seems pretty clear. Otherwise, I could get someone much faster than me to qualify my car into a much higher starting position than I could, then I would drive the car in the race from that starting position. That's not only unfair, but also underhanded and unethical.

Start at the back.

The time in qualfying is for the driver/car combo. If either is changed the new pairing goes to the back. The only time there could be an exception is for enduros which often use multiple drivers and may or may not have a formal qualfying session.

Never switch cars in qualfying as it means you both start at the back. Not sure which who starts behind who though.

The 2 driver's did not switch cars to gain an advantage but to try and diagnose a problem with one of the cars.

There are lots of things that can influence the outcome of a race and I just feel that if you don't start in the position that you actually qualified in, regardless of who's car you drove in qualifying, that it is not right.

Just curious as to what everyone has to say about this subject. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Race starting positions are determined through qualifying times. If you and a friend switched cars during qualifying and the friend is a better driver and qualifies your car in the 2nd row while you drive your friends car and qualify in the 3rd row, what is the right thing to do?

a) Both start at the very end?

b) Both driver's should start their own car's where they qualified at?

c) Thank your friend and start at where he qualified you at?

d) Other?

I just want to know what the rules are in regarding to this subject matter. Normally I wouldn't care but this does influence the points for the overall season finish.

'b' is fair enough in most cases, but 'a' is what the CCR says.

I understand, but like Joe said, qualifying is always a car/driver combo.

Consider my bringing an F1 car to qualifying, winning the pole, then starting the race in a slow 944 that should have qual'd way back in 10th or 11th spot. Even if nothing sneaky was going on ( ), it would still be unfair.

The official ruling from Jerry Kunzman is in on this very important subject and he said both driver's who switched cars during qualifying should have started at the very back of the field. Because the race is finished and I did not dispute this within 30 minutes after the race, the results stands as posted.

Thanks everyone for posting and I wish I knew what to do after the end of that race but it is a lesson learned and I hope nobody else makes the same mistake. It was a wonderful season and I still finished 3rd overall.