Got a car. what next?

lee33lyn

Hey, I'm going thru HPDE now working toward my competition lisc.I run a corvette now and would later like to get into some type of racing. I have a 72 GT Opel that I would like to build into some type of race car but I don't know where to start.I've looked thru the search options and it has really scrambled my brain.Could someone give some direction?

thanks Leebo

Yeah Mark.....1/2 the fun is building one.....along with FOUR times the expense!!! Stupid me, I was in one pretty right that I bought built and then I decided I could have an even better one if I did it myself. And just like that...Voila...I'm broke!!! Ahhh but I met so many nice people on the way to the poor house.

Geff

2009 NASA TTS NATIONAL CHAMPION

Every racer will give you that advice (and received it themselves), but none of them followed it!

Personally, half the fun of racing is building the car.

No ! ...um let me correct that...not anymore....

• Members
Pick a class and buy a racecar that someone else built for 25% of what it would cost to build one.

If you are like me and have an extremely busy life and can not work on your car 24/7, this is the only way to go. I bought a race ready AI Mustang that had a log book but not raced. I started in DE 1 in '07 and am just finishing my 1st year in W2W. I chose this car instead of building my old Camaro because the two people I hung with both had Mustangs and thankfully made most of the mistakes (big $ saver) I would have made.

My car is not a front running car but I continue to get faster (and more respectable) through seat time and listening to others. Other than minor tweaking (simple weight reduction), my car is the same as when I bought it.

Oh yeah, don't underestimate the power of contingencies! My dad and I both race in AI in the Southeast. Other than Road Atlanta we often struggle to have 5 racers to earn maximum Toyo bucks. I love Toyo bucks and my tire expense as a result is much less than I budgeted. Haven't been good enough to earn any Hawk bucks but there is always next year.

Thanks to those that offer contingencies to the racers (and TT).

Shawn

AI #76

SE Region

After research I just can't justify building a car. Just the roll cage is 2k. Hell, I can get a race ready stock car for 15k or a AI car for less than 10k. I'm afraid I'll end up with a tore down Opel in my garage for years to come.I think I'll put the car back together stock and use it for TT's until I start w2w.

thanks for all the input. Lee

Check out the RX-8 boards. There's an RX-8 T3 front running car for sale for 14.5 with a new set of hoosires thrown in. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll hunt it down.