Any 944 Spec cars racing in the Texas Region in 2010?

loftygoals

BJ,

I cannot answer that for you but there are sure a heck of a lot of them here in the midwest now. Still sad to see you left the region.

Maybe you can talk to Eric and we could put together a small road trip to Texas to come and play. I know for one the rest of the family would be up for a trip to Texas. Just throwing that out there. BTW the furthest track North would be a good canidate

You'll have a few to play with at the Hallett event since it ends up being a multi-region event, but outside of that you might find more competition in GTS or PT for the time being until your class catches on. I think it will, there are some people getting a bad taste in their mouths with their current classes over certian things, so they might start looking elsewhere for inexpensive, level, stable competition

I'll welcome you in PT, It'd be nice to have something to play with besides those $% 1st gen RX7s for once

We are all about stable inexpensive competition.

BJ the best thing I can tell you is to take the car out and run it in 944 spec. Somebody needs to be first and carrying the banner. If you look at So-cal, Nor-Cal, Rocky Mountain, Mid West and South east all needed some brave soul to be the first on track. Stick with it and talk it up when ever you can. New arrivals will come. The amazing thing is despite what you see there are others waiting to build 944 spec cars in Texas, but they just need to see them. We also could use a proper 944 spec director in Texas.

l last year Chuck attemped a Texas Crossover, but I think the racers budgets did not allow for big trip of cars. Texas is a long way from Az and I simply cannot commit to bring Az guys out there in any large numbers. However maybe it can be that we can bring 2 guys from RMR, 3 from Mid west, and 1-2 from Az or Cal maybe then we can have a nice showcase field.

even if your car says 944 Spec on it, and on the results sheet, I'd be happy to have another person to race with

as far as that Hallett event crossover being a bust - I think if you had a bit more advertizing about it, plus with the economy picking back up, that it'll be better this year

One of the things I'm considering is building a rental car to let people get a taste of 944 Spec racing. Do you think I'd be able to get it rented with out anyone out there to race against beside me?

-bj

I don't know of anyone that does race rentals, so maybe there is an untapped demand for that - but also I can't say I've shopped for any either to really know for sure if there are any out there. I wish I had been here longer to have a feel for something like that, I moved here and started back racing Oct '08, and this past year was just my first full season for with them.

BJ,

Last year we bought Conans car from him with that same hope. At the beginning of the season we had little to no interest. As it turned out we rented the car every race weekend of the year and we even have it rented for the race weekend we are going to in GA. There may not be any appearant interest but if you rent it for cheap enough there will be interest. If you can get a car for the right price 5k to 6k thats built and make it through the year it may be worth it. I would look for something built already.

Ray

P.S. We already have a rental contract I can get to you that spells everything out.

You can also rent it for DE's too. It is in fact a great way to bring new people in. Rent it for a DE day and they can feel what the car is like. That often leads to good results.

There has been some interest in organizing a multi-region cross over at Hallet. Maybe something we can work on. If you go to Nationals, you see a lot of 944's! The rental car thing worked pretty well for us, and is a great way to build the class. The logistics of getting the extra car to the track can be an issue though - need a serious tow vehicle, and a big trailer! Fortunately Ray (& now Nick,too) have that covered. You may see 2 or 3 rental car next year (maybe one for HPDE only).

Build it, and they will come!

Ken seems like a nice guy - maybe you can convince him to join you!

There has been some interest in organizing a multi-region cross over at Hallet.

Ken seems like a nice guy - maybe you can convince him to join you!

yeah - that'd be a great Pre-Nationals for you guys. It is for AI and CMC already... not too hard to piggy-back on that hype & hoopla if you get with thier leaders I bet

and the second part depends on who you ask

• 4 months later...
BJ,

Last year we bought Conans car from him with that same hope. At the beginning of the season we had little to no interest. As it turned out we rented the car every race weekend of the year and we even have it rented for the race weekend we are going to in GA.

:) How is the car, anyway?? I put a lot of work into that car so I'm pretty proud to hear it has done so well (ie kept going). Still miss racing.

BJ,

Last year we bought Conans car from him with that same hope. At the beginning of the season we had little to no interest. As it turned out we rented the car every race weekend of the year and we even have it rented for the race weekend we are going to in GA.

:) How is the car, anyway?? I put a lot of work into that car so I'm pretty proud to hear it has done so well (ie kept going). Still miss racing.

Conan,

Your trailer is working out great too! I did some paint work on the floor and put a bench up front. It is now the center piece of camp 944 in Arizona. I could not be happier with it. Next up is to do some wiring for 120v A/C.

You will get back to racing soon.